Did you circumcise?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did you have your son(s) circumcised?

Yes, and I would do it again.
42%
Yes, but I regret it.
No votes
More than one son and I've done both.
7%
No, and I'm glad I didn't.
51%
No, but I wish I had.
No votes

Total votes : 43

Did you circumcise?

Postby CaseyB » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:39 am

I've read statistics on the subject from several places now and they are all very different. I've seen the national rate for circumcision anywhere from 33% - 50%, but honestly, I feel like the actual number is probably higher. So I wanted to conduct my own little study and see how many of the TWW mommies had their boys circ'd. DH claims that he's only ever seen one boy in school (gym/swimming class) that wasn't circ'd, so I'm curious to see if it's really changed that much in only 25 years.
Me: Casey(27) DH: Shawn(27)
DD: Molly, July 2011, breech C/S
Hoping for a VBAC!
It's a girl!
CaseyB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:29 am

The reason you are finding such vastly different overall circ rates for the US is because websites (like this) just put up their own polls and it's not "official". The new report covers a survey of millions of babies, not just a couple dozen. The previous link posted on the other thread was from the 1990s. The rate has dropped from 56% - 32% since just ten years ago. So a drop in the last 25 years is hardly surprising.

Officially, they are citing an overall US circumcision rate of less than 33%.

That is the most recent report, from Aug 2010. You did not see it in the news because it wasn't covered by the mainstream media, according to reports from the conference that took place in Vienna.
The US Center for Disease Control is the one issuing the new statistic, which would probably make it more reliable than internet polls.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)