Clogged ducts & drops @ birth?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Which one?

My child had the drops & had a clogged tear duct.
33%
My child had the drops but never had a clogged duct.
33%
My child did not have the drops or a clogged duct.
6%
My child did not have the drops but did have a clogged duct.
28%

Total votes : 18

Clogged ducts & drops @ birth?

Postby dee12h » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:03 pm

I read something in a baby book that made me wonder about this connection. The "drops" in the poll are those drops they put in babies' eyes right after birth. It used to be silver nitrate, but I think it's antibiotics now??

If you have more than one child, please vote again in this same poll in "New Off Topic" for your other child. TIA!
Last edited by dee12h on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:21 pm

J had the goop (as I call it) but within seconds of it being applied DH wiped it out. The hospital is required by law to put the goop in the eyes but there nothing prohibiting us from wiping it away seconds later. :)
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kpatty321 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Interesting poll! My son had the drops and had a terrible clogged tear duct. I'll be following this for sure...
Me and DH: 31
DS#1 3 years old
DS#2 Born January 25th

kpatty321
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:41 pm

kello321 wrote:Interesting poll! My son had the drops and had a terrible clogged tear duct. I'll be following this for sure...

Yeah mine too. Not too sure what I can do about it if it's the law though. :roll:

I read in this book the only thing it protects against is if the mom has gonorrhea. (which they could just test the mom for but the don't) AND even if the baby DOES get the eye infection it is usually easily treated with antibiotics anyway. I didn't know any of this. I'd always heard natural people say it was bad, but I never knew it was unnecessary.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)