Reflux???

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Reflux???

Postby Momof4_andNOmore » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:13 pm

I don't know if this is what's going on or what...

My lil' man is fussy or crying 90% of the time he is awake. He's 7 weeks old and this has been happening since around 3 weeks. He's hard to get to sleep during the day, like I have to hold him and keep it quiet and usually, he will cry after nursing after so long if he hasn't fallen asleep (like if it is too loud or someone is talking). He gets the hiccups upwards or 5 or 6 times a day, and this is one of his very least favorite things. He is generally happy if he isn't overly tired if I sit him upright (sitting position, he has excellent head control). Everyone kept trying to tell me that he is "spoiled" because he knows I'll pick him up, but if that WERE the case, he would stop crying once he was being held... He didn't EVER use to spit up, but I have noticed him doing it quite a bit, but not as much as my exes reflux baby, not close, I do occasionally see him do it just in his mouth and swallow it though, so not certain exactly how often. He is VERY gassy, and drops don't help much at all.

Two other things I've considered are the fact that he has an umbilical hernia because his abdominal muscles aren't yet fused, so his stomach also looks distended sideways, making him look wide (he looks fat something but you can tell it's his organs and not chub if you feel him). I'm not sure if this is allowing extra trapped gas or not...

Also, at 7 weeks, he has now graduated to 6-9 month clothes. He's about 24 inches (from 19.5 at birth) and about 16-17lbs (from 9 1/2lbs). He's growing FAST and I can't imagine it's totally pain free...

I guess I'm just looking for other people's stories about reflux? He has an appt. on March 10 for his 2 month and I'll address my issues there, maybe try some medication as I am at wits end. I can't do ANYTHING but comfort him, or try to anyways, allllll day. I feel so bad I can't just snap my fingers and fix it for him.
Momof4_andNOmore
Star Member
Star Member

Postby tiredlullaby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Rylie has a lot of the similar problems.. the hiccups, the fussiness, gas.. but she also vomits and spits.. it's gotten so bad that she's going to the doctors tomorrow for meds..

The only thing I have found to help is smaller, more frequent meals and having her sleep more upright.. colic tablets work a little bit, and definitely gas drops for gas.

hope your little man starts to feel better!
me- amanda
dh- rob
dd- rylie
ImageImage
tiredlullaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Momof4_andNOmore » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:09 am

Ironically, I posted this Monday night and it's now Wednesday morning. All day yesterday, Alex was a whole new baby. He slept 8 hours instead of 7, took great naps without being held, didn't cry in the car all day, and maybe fussed 10 minutes out of the whole day between waking up and 6 pm when he got really fussy because we were heading home and I could only give him half a feeding. Once home, he ate and was happy. He was all smiles and it was a totally different experience with him. I actually managed to get my hair cut and he didn't even wake up during that hour and a half. Wowzers. I keep saying I need to put some wood in my pocket to knock on. We'll see how today goes.
Momof4_andNOmore
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Grooviechick » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:44 am

Could it possibly be a milk intolerance? Are you nursing? If so, cut out dairy from your diet for a few days and see if that makes a difference. It you aren't nursing, you might ask the dr about switching to a sensetive formula. My son had reflux and didn't spit up. He held it in, but would sound like he was choking all the time. super scary but he was fine.
Grooviechick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MK13 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 am

It could be "silent reflux", which is what my second son has. It has a lot of symptoms similar to regular reflux except they don't usually spit up or vomit. It comes up as far as into their mouths but doesn't actually come out. It's harder to diagnose too.

If things don't ease up and he's having continuous issues, talk to your pedi. But don't wait for them to suggest diagnosis ... just ask right away if it could be reflux or silent reflux. My baby's doctor couldn't figure out for 6 weeks what was wrong (since there was no actual spit up) until I started doing more research and found out about silent reflux and suggested it to my son's doctor and she was like "oh, you're right! why didn't I think of that?" ... so ... like I said ... ask ... don't wait for them to suggest a diagnosis just in case :)
ME 35
DH 40
DSS 18
DS August 15, 2008 ... 3 weeks early
DS2 March 15, 2010 ... 3 weeks early
baby#3 ... edd 12/21/12 ... u/s at 12 weeks showed no heartbeat ... D&C at 13 weeks 6/14/12

MK13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby woodwind » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 am

When my 2nd child was a baby, she had reflux. She would vomit a lot of times right after eating. Sometimes it was projectile vomiting. Ugh. She was lactose intolerant so she was on soy formula. The doc said it was reflux and that the muscle at the top of the stomach wasn't closing all the way, as I recall. Anyway, I starting adding just a little bit of rice cereal to her bottle and voila! No more problems.
woodwind

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:31 am

we are on infant gaviscon for this. khloe is on hypoallergenic formula due to cmpa and reflux. the milk didnt help the reflux though. she would take 2oz scream arch her back refuse the bottle , cry, fuss, not nap, not sleep, and then didnt want to feed at all. since we started using gaviscon she has not thrown up and spits up the tiniest amount and not all the time when being fed so shes a lot better now

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kellmma » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:24 pm

My son had reflux which was diagnosed at 4 weeks. Sour milk breath, crying all the time... We would have to hold him up for 20-30 minutes after every bottle or else he'd be in pain and the angle of the car seat was the worst as it forced the acids up. The Dr put him on Axid twice a day, taken 30 minutes before a bottle and he was a new baby within a week. He grew out of it and was off the medicin within about 4 months although he still spit up a lot for several months after. I think it got better once he could sit up on his own and when he started solids.
Kellmma
Friend

Postby StephStorm » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Sounds like how my daughter was. Gas drops, gripe water, special bottles..didn't help. She ended up being allergic to milk and soy including Alimentum and had to go on Neocate. Her gastro Dr. did put her on Prevacid and Zantac for projectile vomiting & reflux but it really didn't work evetually she just outgrew the constant spit-ups by the time she was 4 months. Maybe you can bring a stool sample to the pediatrican and have them check it for blood - a sign of milk allergy.
Stephanie 26
DH Patrick 34
Clover Jane 5
Kimberly Rose 2.5
Daisy Belle born 7/22/16

StephStorm
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)