Circumcision Issue

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby dee12h » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Mine had that too. The pedi told us to gently pull it back each time we changed his dipe & it would eventually let go. So we did, then a little bit reattached on one side. You could see the ridge all the way around the glans except on that side. My DH would gently pull it each time, then the other day, it just came off. DS fussed just a little, and it was red, but didn't bleed. I put vasoline on it, and now it looks normal again. It healed in like 2-3 days. The way they do circs nowdays, they leave more skin than they used to. I think that's why this happens.

I haven't heard it would be fixed as they grow. That's good to know. But he has erections even now & it didn't fix it. :?: (the reason I know is bc if I check on him b4 I go to bed & his dipe has leaked & I change him, he ALWAYS has an one @ that time of day.) I think it's better that it's fixed now, personally.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnnaBanana23 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Thank you all for your responses!

The doctor who circ'd him told us to pull it back and had gauze and vasoline etc when it was healing. I followed her advice for the first 2 months. But then was told by the nurse at the vaccination appointment that I should NEVER pull his skin back. That's when I stopped.

So I had our 2nd vaccination appointment on Friday. I talked to the nurse and she asked another nurse there because she wasn't sure about the normal procedure. Apparently they said that they tell people not to pull the skin back, but they do know that our doctor who performed the circ does tell her clients to pull the skin back because she tends to leave a bit more skin. I voiced my concerns that they knew this but had told me NOT to pull it back even though they knew that some doctors advice, including ours, was different. IMO the nurses should have told me to follow the orders of the doctor who performed the circ.

I've booked an appointment with our family doctor on Tuesday and an appointment with the doctor who did the circ on the 14th. In the meantime I have been pulling the skin back gently after bathtime and diaper changes. No irritation is showing and I don't see the harm in this at all. I really hope this all works out fine. My DH and I are beside ourselves and hope this doesn't cause damage to him, and such a sensitive area!
AnnaBanana23
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 pm

DS had a mild adhesion at about 3-4 months old. Our pedi just told us to gently pull back the skin during diaper changes, and it healed normally. It hasn't required any maintenance now for a couple years.
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby twnkltoez85 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:28 pm

interesting... after we had DS circumcised we were told to watch and make sure it didn't grow back over the ridge. When we'd change him we'd put neosporin (big goop of it) and push the skin down if it was coming up.. in our case it never creeped up. But we were only suppose to do it for a week after that, we were told it was healed. We haven't had any issues. Our doc did say that it can creep up and adher if not enough skin was cut off. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Get it taken care of now... my husband's cousin had to get his fixed when he was in his 20's. Good luck!
Me: 24
DH: 25
MC: April 15, 2010 5 weeks pg
BFP: June 11, 2010
:hb: nice and strong on July 27, 2010 (3 yr. Anniversary)
:hb: 150 at 15 weeks
:hb: 152 at 19 weeks IT'S A BOY! (Hubby's Bday)
Placenta Previa resolved at 30 weeks. Still a boy! (My bday)
Owen Tyler born February 17, 2011 3:26 pm

twnkltoez85
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ~*~Amanda~*~ » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Ds had the plastibell circ and I haven't had any issues, I do move the skin back to clean it... he gets a coating of desitin at night and if I don't wipe it down he ends up w a white ring just around the "rim" of the head.
Image still happily RF at 25 lbs, 35 inches and almost 2 years old!

DS & DSD (9)

click WWW to add me on facebook! just be sure to tell me who you are :-)
~*~Amanda~*~
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Kisty214 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:21 pm

CamsMommy wrote:Same thing happened here. I tool lo in for his 9 month check up and the doc noticed it. She just told me to pull the skin back every time that I change his diaper and all will be well. It doesn't look bad.I mean he has a lot of excess skin there too. Does anyone else have this on their lo too? (Sorry, I don't mean to take over your post. Just curious.)

ds1 did this...he had the band put on it and we still have problems with it, our pediatrician tells us to pull the skin back and put vaseline on it that the urine so how makes it attach back (she told me but I forgot lol, but it deals with the urine) now I don't have to do it as much, but if I notice not being able to see it I pull it back

ds2 the dr just cut the skin, and I have not had any problems with his
ME-Kisty(27) DH-Brett(32)
DS1: 9/14/09
DS2: 8/12/10
m/c 3/3/08
m/c 5/15/11
DS3: 2/21/12

Kisty214
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MominMD » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:22 pm

I think in general docs leave more skin there than they used to, and sometimes that requires pulling it back.

Doc told me to keep doing it and putting vaseline on it. I think by a year we were able to stop this practice. I still pull it back gently every once in a while to make sure everything is ok.
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)