writhing arching baby

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

writhing arching baby

Postby HappyCianci » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:29 am

My baby's a week old today, and for the past couple of days he's started arching his neck and back waaaay back when he's crying or fussing. It's like he's trying to get away from me, which makes me sad, but he doesn't calm down when I put him down, either. He does it a lot when we're trying to breastfeed, which I've heard can be a reflux thing, but there's no spit-up. Any ideas what might be going on? I'm worried. Thanks!
Me: 31 Copilot: 37
DS Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl! :babyg:
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.
HappyCianci
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MomTo2Boys » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:37 am

not all reflux babies spit up. Could very well be reflux.

Are you nursing or bottle feeding? If you are BF, could also be an allergy. DS2 has an egg & dairy allergy - and showed all the signs of reflux. Medication didn't help but an elimination diet has made him a new baby
~*Melissa*~
DS1 05.07.09 - born at 34w 4d
DS2 07.26.10 - born at 35w 2d
DS3 11.01.11 - born at 36w 5d

ImageImageImage
MomTo2Boys
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 am

I agree, reflux. DS never spit up but did arch his back and scream like you describe. Do you have a carrier of some kind to keep him upright when he is sleeping?
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Em » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:33 pm

IA with both pps. I would try some of the things suggested for reflux babies, as well as eliminate certain things from your diet. In addition to reflux, DS had really painful gas problems. I eliminated dairy, eggs, corn, and anything gas-inducing like broccoli, cauliflower, beans, etc.

Try to keep your LO semi-upright more to help if it is an acid issue. Burp frequently (rubbing gently vs. patting which in my experience made the reflux worse).

kup and gl.

eta - Maybe try to look up the symptoms for silent reflux and see if any of that rings true for you.
Me :hb: DH DS1 (7) DS2 (5) DS3 (2.5)
ImageImage
Em
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ~*~Amanda~*~ » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Reflux or gas.... try swaddling, that helped me a lot in the beginning, calms them and makes nursing easier
Image still happily RF at 25 lbs, 35 inches and almost 2 years old!

DS & DSD (9)

click WWW to add me on facebook! just be sure to tell me who you are :-)
~*~Amanda~*~
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby j_libs » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:35 pm

DS did that but he didn't have reflux, but he did get gas pains often. It did make breastfeeding very frustrating at times. I agree that a swaddle might help.
ImageImage
j_libs
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Denise » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:57 pm

My nephew did this and it was some sort of thing with his throat...it was hurting him to swallow and had to be put on thickener?
Denise
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby molly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:21 pm

My DD has been the same since that age and it has been from gas issues. Some days are horrendous but it's getting better. Are you BF'ing? The reason I ask is that I have an overactive letdown and this affects her... I have recently gotten some gas drops, that are also for 'colic' & reflux - they're called 'Colic Calm' and I got them online. they're all natural ingredients and pedi approved. My DD writhes in pain and goes as stiff as a board... Hope your LO improves quickly!!
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MissyMia » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:31 am

My dd2 did this a lot while crying, but it didn't matter when. She could be eating or just crying for some other reason. She was a very hard to please baby and is finally getting better. We never did figure out why she was doing it, even the pedi was puzzled. I never noticed gas and the gas drops didn't seem to help.

Another thing is my dd was a super fussy eater up until recently. Doing exactly what you describe. We ruled out reflux at the pedi office, and I figured it was more of a slow to start, yet forceful letdown. That and I was trying to force her to nurse longer then she really needed and that made her mad. She does it with my family too while being held and wanting to be held by me. She just has her ideas of what she wants and screams like crazy until we figure out what they are. She is 6 months today and I have been dealing with this for over 4 months.
DD1 - 2/12/08
DD2 - 10/7/10
DD3 - Due August 11th

MissyMia
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:15 pm

You might also look into probiotics for both you and your baby. I started DD on them about 4 weeks old and myself too then as I was breastfeeding. Saw a HUGE difference from about 3 days on to a week when it has remained the same.

Gripe water and Mylicon are also must haves that we did around the clock in the beginning...

This too shall pass mama!
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HappyCianci » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks everyone! The arching and writhing has improved since my original post. He's changing so fast, it seems like he develops new habits and drops them every few days! He does get gassy and squirmy sometimes, but it's not nearly as dramatic as before so I'm less worried. Thanks again :)
Me: 31 Copilot: 37
DS Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl! :babyg:
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.
HappyCianci
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)