Transitioning out of FP Rock n Play

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Transitioning out of FP Rock n Play

Postby j_libs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:01 am

DS starting sitting up in his Fisher Price Rock n Play sleeper, so I had to take him out of it. We had it next to our bed, and now I've moved the pack n play in there. Last night was the 2nd night sleeping in the pack n play... He doesn't sleep nearly as well and wakes up in the middle of the night and wants to eat. He had been STTN since around 7 weeks. My main concern is that through the night he's ALL OVER the pack n play. I put him down in the middle, and I wake up a few times a night and he's always in a different position - completely pressed up against a side (still on his back), turned all around. This is worrying me and he's been cranky I think because he's not sleeping as well.

I wish they made a big rock n play! I know a lot of people use those so does anyone have any tips on how to get them used to sleeping on a flat surface vs. the incline? Also, should I worry that he's scooting all over the pack n play? Should I do anything to try to stop that?
ImageImage
j_libs
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:48 pm

What we did was buy this crib wedge http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Src=search. Then I wrapped it in a receiving blanket (safety pinned it on the underneath to keep the blanket in place) and sat it on TOP of the mattress. This way I can still use the Angelcare monitor and he gets a nice incline. We've been doing this for many months now.

And DS roves all around his crib. Sometimes he ends up with his entire body on the crib wedge. They will do that a lot and it's perfectly normal. I think it's funny some of the positions he ends up in. I wouldn't put anything in there to keep him in one spot.
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby KimmyH » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:35 am

The instructions for the Rock N Play sleeper say that you can use it until 25 lbs or until they can climb out. Sitting up is fine, and my DD still slept in it when she had a cold at 10ish months. Just make sure you are buckling him in. My cousins DD is 14 months and still uses it for naps, though I think she may be getting close to being able to climb out.

We transitioned DD at around 7 months from sleeping in the RNP by my bed to the crib in the nursery. It really sucked for a couple of weeks, but I was prepared to do battle. First, I put the RNP in the nursery for about a week, so she would get used to the nursery. Then I would rock her to sleep and hold her for like 10 minutes until she was dead asleep before laying her down in the crib. She would wake up a lot for the first few weeks in the crib. I didn't do anything special with the crib, but I would lay her down on her side because that was the only way to keep her from waking up when I laid her down. Gradually I rocked her less and less and eventually put her in the crib drowsy but not asleep. GL!
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby j_libs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks for the replies. We moved the RnP downstairs and now he sleeps in it while we're watching tv (if we're not holding him). He was waking me up because he was just thrashing around in it too much at night and he was getting his head up over the back by pushing up with his legs.

He's doing fine sleeping in the pack & play. It took a few nights but he's used to it now and STTN again :) My bedroom is small so I hate having that thing in there but we're just not ready for the crib yet.
ImageImage
j_libs
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Missbollinger » Sat May 14, 2011 12:14 pm

I've actually just transitioned DD from the RnP to the PnP so she will be ready to move into the nursery and crib in a few months. unfortunately for me I transitioned her during a supply dip (2nd AF) but it took 3 nights she is now happy going down in the PnP and no need to rock. I will add she still likes to be swaddled so that will be our next step but not until after her 4 month appointment next week.
CD46 (6w 3d) 32DPO HCG 45,802 Progesterone 11
7w1d :hb: 140bpm
12w1d :hb: 154bpm

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
mmc 16weeks (fetus 8 weeks) 04/95 d&c
m/c 12 weeks 03/05
m/c 6 weeks 03/06
Missbollinger
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)