urine output? (xpost)

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

urine output? (xpost)

Postby NicoleK03 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:41 pm

DS is 2 days old and has only been peeing every 12 hours or so. He goes a bunch when he does go. He hadn't gone for about 12 hours so I called the dr. and he said to give him 4 oz of formula but he went right after I talked to them so I havent given him any formula.

He has been nursing a ton and got rid of all of the meconium. My milk is starting to come in and I really want to avoid supplementing but I don't want to be harming my baby with my stubbornness.

What would you do????
Me:24 DH:25 DS:Born 10/01/09 DS2: Born 5/11/11
Married:06/03/06
Image<br />Image
NicoleK03
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:06 pm

First, it takes until he is almost a week old to even have a stomach the size of 1.5/2 oz. So please PLEASE whatever you do, don't give him 4 ounces of anything at once. (And I am quietly bashing your pedi over the head for not knowing this.)

That said, I would keep nursing. Keep offering the breast all the time. when he wakes up, when he drifts to sleep. when he cries, when he moves. anytime you see that cutie little tongue offer the breast. just keep offering.

Does he look dehydrated?
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NicoleK03 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:09 pm

I know!! I was thinking WTH he is not going to eat 4 oz. My pedi is kind of a dumba$$ I take what he says and then make my own decision.

He has been nursing so much! Like almost constantly but I think it is mostly comforting nursing because he is kind of gassy but as long as I get a burb out he seems to settle down better.

I'm not really sure what to look for as far as dehydration. His soft spot doesn't seem sunken but its kind of hard to tell for sure through all of his hair!!

The nurse did call back and said not to worry about the formula since he did go pee but to make sure he went every twelve hours.
Me:24 DH:25 DS:Born 10/01/09 DS2: Born 5/11/11
Married:06/03/06
Image<br />Image
NicoleK03
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:20 pm

right now he should be nursing "all the time". He's helping to establish your supply so nursing him often is the best thing for both of you.

Keep doing what you are doing. :)
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)