How do I...

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How do I...

Postby anxious-annie » Sun May 22, 2011 8:00 am

Get DD to sleep past freaking 5am?!?

She used to go to bed at 7pm, now we've moved it to 8pm because 7pm was just rediculous. She'd have her longest block of sleep at the beginning of the night and with her going to bed at 7, that meant that I was awake during most of her longest block of sleep. But no matter when she goes to bed, she always wakes up at 5am and wants to be up for the day! She's even woken up at 4am because she's hungry and then wakes up 1 hr later ready to start the day.

I don't "let" her get up that early though. I either go in and give her the pacifier and leave her in the crib until 6am (if I don't mind laying awake listening to her babble and fuss and repeatedly going into her room to give her back her paci) or I go in and rock her back to sleep (and she inevitably wakes up at 6am which is only 45 min later after taking into account rocking time).

No matter what, 5am is an ungodly hour (especially when she's still waking up at least twice a night) and I would LOVE for her to sleep until at least 6am (though 7am would be a dream).

Any suggestions?!?!
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby CamsMommy » Sun May 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Is her room too bright? Maybe try darkening her room some. Have you tried to give her a bottle and take her into your bed with you? With my lo I would get him his bottle, feed him, and then we would cuddle in bed and he would go back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. I hope that she sleeps in a little for you. Good Luck!
Me, 33 Hubby, 34
CamsMommy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Leighsah » Sun May 22, 2011 1:28 pm

She needs an earlier bedtime.....I would try 6-630pm. Read the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Weisbbluth.....explains how sleep works and why earlier bedtimes create longer stretches of sleep.

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kc12345 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I agree with the earlier bedtime... DD did this for too long so I read that book, put her to bed earlier and she started sleeping in later. She's never been a "late" sleeper but at 1 year she finally sleeps till 6:30, somtimes, 7a. Good luck!
kc12345
Angel
Angel

Postby coastieschick » Sun May 22, 2011 5:47 pm

I am having this same problem! DS is almost 9 months and has slowly been waking up earlier and earlier since December. He's still going to bed at 7, wakes up MAYBE once just to get his pacifier back and then is usually up at 5:30-5:45 he used to sleep in until 8ish!? And to top in off he is switching up his naps on me so I'm at a loss all around :/ I just hope he doesn't decide to get up any earlier!
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:39 pm

I will also say earlier bed time.

What is his daytime nap schedule like?
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Mon May 23, 2011 4:38 am

What is your LO's nap schedule like and how much are you feeding? DS is in the process of taking fewer naps and yesterday seemed like we almost got a schedule started again and I gave him an extra bottle and he slept straight threw the night, didn't even wake up to get his paci back and slept until 6am. Now that's not much longer and could of just been a good night but, naps and/or food could be worth looking into...
HTH
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 am

The few times I tried regularly putting her to sleep earlier than 7pm (once we tried around 6 and once we tried 6:30), after a couple of nights she would wake up at 3am and be ready to be up for the day...so I put the kibosh on bed earlier than 7pm pretty quick.

Right now she is up for about 1.5hrs between naps and takes five-ish 30-45 min naps (and then is usually up for 2-3 hours in the evening before bed...she refuses to take evening naps). If she's up longer than 1.5 hrs she gets REALLY cranky and just cries no matter what I do until I put her to bed (with the exception of the evenings), and if I miraculously manage to get her to take a longer nap she is too well rested and wakes up a lot more during the night. When she's at the "prefectly napped" state she wakes up twice at night. Once at 1:30am and once around 3:30/4am.

We started her on solids a week ago so she goes to bed with a very full tummy since I give her solids about 1.5 hrs before bed and then nurse her right before putting her down.

I would snuggle with her in bed when she wakes up but when I've tried she just likes to play and now that she can roll over it's the first thing she does when we lie down and my bed is super-duper soft so I get too nervous to let her stay that way.

Looks like DH is just going to have to keep waking up with her at 5am since I made him do that the past few mornings and LOVED it. I figure if I get up all night, then he gets the early wake-up. :P

ETA: yesterday her schedule got all kinds of messed up because we went to a family BBQ and she missed 2 naps and took one super short one so she was EXHAUSTED by the time we left (which was bedtime). She woke up every 2 hrs all night (as usual when she's overtired) but then this morning she didnt' wake up until 6am and her first nap has been 1.5 hrs. She was so tired I don't know if I'd want to duplicate that sleep schedule...but maybe I should try to see if I can get her on a schedule of longer nap blocks with longer blocks of "awake" time and see if that helps??? What do you think?

Also forgot to say that she has the room darkening shades and her room is on the sunless side of the house so her room stays quite dark.
Last edited by anxious-annie on Mon May 23, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Mon May 23, 2011 8:53 am

That's what I am trying to transition little man too and it seeeeems to be helping but its so hard to tell!
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 am

coastieschick wrote:That's what I am trying to transition little man too and it seeeeems to be helping but its so hard to tell!

Maybe I'll give it a try then....ooooo this could be nightmarish for a couple of days LOL
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:27 am

What kinds of solids are you doing?

As for sleep, she should be getting about 14 hours total of sleep per 24 hour period. I'm thinking she isn't getting enough sleep. For the 45 minutes, try going into her room about ten minutes before she would normally wake and try rubbing her back until she resettles. this might give you longer naps during the day.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Mon May 23, 2011 3:03 pm

we started with oatmeal and are now on organic pureed veggies for "dinner". We were going to wait for the veggies a little longer but my mom babysat one evening and gave her the cereal for dinner and she ate two servings of it so we decided it was time to move on.

Going to bed at 8pm and getting up at 5 is 9 hrs...then six 45 min naps is 4.5 hrs which is a total of 13.5 hrs (her naps vary from 30 min to an hour...usually averaging about 45 min).

So far she's been taking some nice looooong naps today. She had a 2 hr nap this morning (then a 20 min nap in the car that I don't really count LOL) and she's now sleeping again and has been down for an hour and 15 min. so far and she was able to stay up for about 2 hours between naps so I think I might try to keep this up (fingers crossed). It would certainly be nice if she could be up longer and asleep longer (after all, 45 min isn't enough time for ME to fall asleep and take a nap with her LOL).

I guess we'll see because the last time I tried keeping her up longer she did really well the first day and then hit a wall the second day and was taking a nap every hour LOL.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Ahh my mistake then. you said 5 30-45. Sorry.

Food itself won't really make her sleep longer as much as that myth is passed about. It sounds like a sleep regression with the shorter length naps. Try getting her to take longer ones for better, more restorative sleep.

Finally, some children are just early risers. DS gets up around 5 am as well.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Leighsah » Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 am

She isn't getting quality naps.....30-45 minutes is barely an entire sleep cycle. So she may be getting enough "sleep" but not quality sleep if that makes sense. You need to try and get her to sleep longer nap stretches.....

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 am

how do you recommend doing that? DS rarely naps longer than 1 hr and lately he too has been about 30-55 mins, that's part of what prompted us to space out his naps thinking that he must not be tired enough and so wasn't sleeping long...

...also wanted to drop by to mention that DS put himself to sleep last night at 6 an hr before his normal bedtime, and he woke up at barely FOUR!!! 8O
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)