How do I...

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby meg1492 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 am

coastieschick wrote:how do you recommend doing that? DS rarely naps longer than 1 hr and lately he too has been about 30-55 mins,

Go in about ten minutes before he would normally wake and gently rub his back. you'll find that he "should" resettle himself in a few minutes, thus restarting a sleep cycle.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Tue May 24, 2011 10:32 am

I'll have to give that a hot, his naps have been so unpredictable lately but I thiiiink I can catch him before he wakes up, fx...
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KimmyH » Tue May 24, 2011 10:50 am

Have you tried using a sling/wrap for naps. Having fewer, longer naps may help, and some babes sleep longer in a sling. Try vacuuming while BWing, that was always instant sleep for DD.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Tue May 24, 2011 11:20 am

coastieschick wrote:...also wanted to drop by to mention that DS put himself to sleep last night at 6 an hr before his normal bedtime, and he woke up at barely FOUR!!! 8O

Yeah, that's why we had to start pushing DD's bedtime later. She would start doing the same thing. Not good for momma!

However, last night, after having several long naps (a 2 hr nap and a 4 hr nap 8O ...she was catching up on missed sleep since we're re-structuring her nap schedule) she slept until almost 8:30 this morning!! YAY!!!

Now I'm trying to keep it up...we'll see. So far her first nap she woke up after an hour, I tried putting her back to sleep, and though she fell asleep, she woke up within 5 min. Grrrr
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:33 pm

and now we have an instance of "be careful what you wish for" LOL. After messing with her schedule for a couple of days I decided to give up because she just wouldn't nap for very long. But about that time she finally regulated her nap schedule and now takes 3 long-ish naps a day instead of a ton of short ones. She usually takes a 1-1.5hr nap in the morning, a 2-3hr nap in the early afternoon and sometimes a 1hr nap in the late afternoon/early evening (sometimes not...it depends on how long her previous nap was). I was SO happy! Not to mention that she's been sleeping in until 6:30 instead of waking up at 5am! yay!

However.....since I messed with her schedule, now she's waking up (I kid you not) every 1-1.5 hrs all night long!! She is waking up more now than when she was a newborn! GAH!

So I got what I wanted in regard to her longer naps, but now she's regressed in her nighttime sleep *sigh*. Now I have to start trying to fix it.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Seriously, how are you supposed to MAKE a baby nap for longer??? My daughter naps for exactly 30 minutes 3-4 times a day. You can set your watch by her! Nothing matters--swaddled or not, warm or cold, light or dark, noise or quiet, in her room or in the kitchen. She's awake after 30 minutes and that's all there is to it.

Her pediatrician says that if that's the way she is, that's the way she is. Actually, he said "I don't have any ethical way to make a baby nap."

ETA: oops, I was still reading the first page when I posted this.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:32 pm

LOL no worries. The only way I could "make" DD nap longer was to keep her up for longer periods in between naps. At 6 mos. she should be able to stay up for 3 hour stretches, but she was maxing out at 1.5 hrs. So I started keeping her up for 2 hrs at a time to see if she would eventually sleep longer stretches (going in to soothe her back to sleep before she woke up didn't work for us because touching her at all just wakes her up more, and I couldn't go in 10 min before she woke up when she would wake up at random intervals). I didn't think it would work and those 3 or 4 days were pure HE11 because she was so tired but she finally started sleeping longer naps.

...now to get her to start sleeping at night again. What I wouldn't give for only 2 wake-ups at this point :?
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:25 am

My son started this early wake thing (he's a few weeks older than your DD) when he started cutting his top teeth. It was so annoying. He is also rearranging his nap schedule a bit, too, where he prefers to be up 2.5 - 3 hours now, rather than a nap every 1.5 or 2 hours. It results in longer naps typically, but it also makes it harder to juggle bedtime. His bedtime is around 8:30 or 9. If he goes to bed too late, he gets overtired, but putting him to bed early means he wakes up right after I go to bed. I've found one thing that helps him sleep past 5:30 - 6 am is if he wakes up around 4:30 or 5 am, it resets him, and then he'll sleep a couple of hours past that. Also, making sure the room is dark. With him, I think the light in the room really messes with him. He has trouble sleeping in light because, well, then he can SEE! LOL! He's such a distractible baby.

Anyway, it sounds like you've figured out the day schedule, but the nights are wacky. Babies go through phases. You might look into the teething issue to be sure. Do you nurse your DD every time she wakes? I've been cutting Isaiah down to 2 feedings max between 8:30 and his wake up time of 7:30 - 8 am. We just rock and rub his back and bounce him to sleep in between times. He used to sleep great but now with teething and rolling in his sleep, he's up every 2 - 4 hours. Let me know if you find something that works! :D
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:51 am

BeccaM wrote:Anyway, it sounds like you've figured out the day schedule, but the nights are wacky. Babies go through phases. You might look into the teething issue to be sure. Do you nurse your DD every time she wakes? I've been cutting Isaiah down to 2 feedings max between 8:30 and his wake up time of 7:30 - 8 am. We just rock and rub his back and bounce him to sleep in between times. He used to sleep great but now with teething and rolling in his sleep, he's up every 2 - 4 hours. Let me know if you find something that works! :D

LOL I try not to nurse her everytime she wakes up...but she just will have none of that. She basically demands to be nursed. If I try just rocking her or anything she starts screaming and just screams louder and harder until I give in and nurse her....then she quiets right down, nurses and goes right to sleep *sigh*. This is a new development as I always tried to NOT nurse her every time she woke up (after she was 3 mos. old) because I didn't want to encourage this exact pattern. I think we have a couple of issues complicating her sleep. She's in the process of learning to crawl so she starts scooching her way up the crib at night when she tries to get herself back to deep sleep until she bonks her head on the slats at the head of the bed (our bumpers are the breathable mesh ones so there's no padding for her head to hit first). Then she wakes up and keeps bonking her head because she doesn't have the skills to move away yet, which results in her getting upset and crying. This happens a LOT throughout the night.

Then we also have the issue of being in Arizona where it's friggin HOT but her room is actually the coolest room in the house (at a whole 77 degrees) so we're trying to figure out the best way to dress her, etc. for the heat that turns chilly at night whenever the A/C turns on and then is hot again when the A/C kicks off. So she wakes up all night getting hot then cold then hot, etc. which starts the scootching to the end of the crib fiasco.

We just need to move LOL
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:05 pm

anxious-annie wrote:
BeccaM wrote:Anyway, it sounds like you've figured out the day schedule, but the nights are wacky. Babies go through phases. You might look into the teething issue to be sure. Do you nurse your DD every time she wakes? I've been cutting Isaiah down to 2 feedings max between 8:30 and his wake up time of 7:30 - 8 am. We just rock and rub his back and bounce him to sleep in between times. He used to sleep great but now with teething and rolling in his sleep, he's up every 2 - 4 hours. Let me know if you find something that works! :D

LOL I try not to nurse her everytime she wakes up...but she just will have none of that. She basically demands to be nursed. If I try just rocking her or anything she starts screaming and just screams louder and harder until I give in and nurse her....then she quiets right down, nurses and goes right to sleep *sigh*. This is a new development as I always tried to NOT nurse her every time she woke up (after she was 3 mos. old) because I didn't want to encourage this exact pattern. I think we have a couple of issues complicating her sleep. She's in the process of learning to crawl so she starts scooching her way up the crib at night when she tries to get herself back to deep sleep until she bonks her head on the slats at the head of the bed (our bumpers are the breathable mesh ones so there's no padding for her head to hit first). Then she wakes up and keeps bonking her head because she doesn't have the skills to move away yet, which results in her getting upset and crying. This happens a LOT throughout the night.

Then we also have the issue of being in Arizona where it's friggin HOT but her room is actually the coolest room in the house (at a whole 77 degrees) so we're trying to figure out the best way to dress her, etc. for the heat that turns chilly at night whenever the A/C turns on and then is hot again when the A/C kicks off. So she wakes up all night getting hot then cold then hot, etc. which starts the scootching to the end of the crib fiasco.

We just need to move LOL

I know what you mean. We're in OK right now and it so hot here. I hate A/C all day long :( I have been dressing LO in light sleepers and rolling his sleeves up. I turn on a ceiling fan to keep the air moving and the A/c is running.

Anyway, on the nursing to sleep thing, I know everyone has a different idea of what is best for their family. For us, I know that nursing to sleep constantly in the middle of the night if not for us. I don't want to be doing that every 2 hours at a year old, and I'm afraid if I set the precedent now, it will be harder to change!

I won't completely cut out night feedings at this point, because i think he still needs the nutrition, and we have our best nursings in the night, because he isn't distracted! But I know if you are not consistent and give in every time, they do learn that they will get what they want if they cry hard enough for it :wink:. I have found that, unless my LO is teething hard, that if he knows he won't get nursed that time, he is learning to go down much easier with just a back rub or holding for a minute and gently bouncing him. It's harder at first, because they fight and cry, but it does pay off.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:47 am

so I made the conscious effort to not nurse her more than twice the other night. The first night sucked because I didn't think about it until her 2am wakeup and she was really ticked off because I'd been nursing her for every other wakeup before that...took an HOUR to get her back to sleep. However, the next night I was more aware of what I needed/wanted to do so I didn't feed her for her first few wakeups and she couldn't have cared less.

I've definitely done that before where I won't feed her at every wakeup because I don't want her to get into that habit but she has been waking up SO frequently the past couple of weeks that I just fell into it as a way to get her (and me!) back to sleep as soon as possible.

Her constant waking is certainly not a feeding/want to be fed issue though, I've come to discover. Even when I stopped nursing her every time she woke up (still not nursing for every wakeup since I figured out that I'd fallen into that habit) she is STILL waking up every hour to hour-and-a-half! But I at least confirmed that it was because when she goes into her light-sleep part of her sleep cycle she starts fidgeting and does scootch to the end of the crib and bonks her head/gets stuck in the corner and that's what wakes her up.

I set up the pack 'n play in her room and tried putting her to sleep in it since it has soft sides so she wouldn't bonk her head. She woke up 3 times in one hour!! and every time she woke up it was because she'd scootched into the corner of the pack 'n play and gotten stuck there. I ended up putting her back into the crib because the length of the crib allowed her more "scootching room" which is why she would go for 1.5 hrs instead of 15 min like the pack 'n play.

And last night after moving her back to the crib I put her down WIDE awake and she was easily able to put herself to sleep so that told me that there was definitely something actively waking her up and keeping her awake to the point of fussiness (being stuck in a corner).

I wish I had the money to buy a round crib...then there would be no corners for her to get stuck in LOL.

I guess I'll just have to suffer with less sleep than when she was a newborn until she either outgrows this phase or gets enough dexterity to move herself out of the corner.....and oh man I hope one of those things happens soon cause I'm about to lose it.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkijames » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:56 pm

Honestly some children wake up early no matter what you do. My older kids are 7 and 8 and always up between 5 and 6, regardless of bed time and obviously they no longer take naps. Of course they are old enough to entertain themselves but my babies are very similar. Even Dylan, who co-sleeps with me and nurses back to sleep easily the whole night just starts cooing and smiling away about 6 am usually.

When she's a teenager you won't be able to drag her out of bed :wink:
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)