Stinky Belly button

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Stinky Belly button

Postby Remonah » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 am

Hey ladies! My litte man is 13 weeks tomorrow and I noticed today that his belly button is a little reddish pink, and smells a little...His cord fell off at five days, which I know seems a little early, but he's been to the dr. since then and he didn't say anything about it when I had him check it..Then about a month or so ago, it was a tad red and smelly, so i just cleaned it with alcohol and put some breast milk in it a few times that day and the next day it was perfectly fine, wasn't red and didn't smell...Now today I just notice that it is red, and smelly again..Has anyone gone through this..I'm probably going to make a dr.'s appointment just in case..I've read about stumps not healing very well and they have to have silver nitrate to close them up or something?? Any input would help! Thanks!
Me, 26
DH, Ryne, 27.
DS, Knox, 17mos.
*BFP July 1, 2010*
162bpm 7/28/10 <3
154bpm 9/13/10 <3 It's A Boy!!
**March 8, 2011 Happy Birthday, Knox!!***
8lbs 11oz, 21.5in:)
*BFP July 3, 2013*
EDD March 5, 2013
Remonah
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby anxious-annie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:57 am

5 days isn't crazy early for the cord to fall off. And at 13 weeks I don't think it would a cord issue as that should be more than fully healed by now. It actually just sounds like your little guy is getting a sweaty belly button. Here's some TMI....during the summer I have the same issue you're describing on your baby. My belly button gets reddish pink and stinky if I've been really hot and sweaty one day and don't make sure to wash it out with soap and water. It's just the sweat and skin oils collecting in the folds of skin there (thus the smelly part) and irritating the skin (thus the red). I would just try washing and rinsing it with mild soap and water for a day or two (you can use a q-tip for this, just be sure to not push around too much or it could be painful to him, and maybe use a q-tip to dry it to make sure there's no excess moisture when you're done) and see if that clears it up.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 am

this happend with DD her cord was off at 3 days and she had problems with it weeping for a week but it did heal and it does sometimes go red and smelly. i would bathe it in warm water and apply a good cream with antiseptic in like sudocrem or metanium works for us

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)