Odd behavior question

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Odd behavior question

Postby HappyCianci » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:03 am

My son is 2.5 months old, and once every week or two since he was born this weird scary thing happens, and I was wondering if some other mamas might put my mind at rest.

What happens is this: usually when he is fussy or overly excited (but once just when I was taking him out of his carseat) his eyes suddenly freeze wide open as if in terror, and his facial expression looks like one of extreme fear or anger (DF calls it "Hulk Face" but despite the silly name, is scares him too)

While he has this facial expression, he makes tight fists with tense arms and he turns beet red. It only lasts a second or two and it only happens once a week or less, but it's very different from his normal fussing/crying face. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this... could he be suddenly scared of something? I'm afraid it's some sort of weird seizure, or that he's getting sudden sharp pain. Anyway thanks from a worried mama
Me: 31 Copilot: 37
DS Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl! :babyg:
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.
HappyCianci
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JADE0199 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:23 pm

I didn't want to read and run, I am not sure what exactly is going on but if it were me I'd mention it to my pediatrician. And it would be even better to try to get it on video since it'll probably be nearly impossible for it to happen at the doctors office. I don't want to worry you but if that happened to my son, I'd be concerned too. I hope its nothing to worry about.
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Hmmm, sometimes when DD gets really worked up, she'll pause mid-scream and take a big 'ol breath before letting loose again. Is it kind if like that, and he just happens to be making a funny face at the same time? I like the idea of trying to get it on video to show your pedi.
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby macleesy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Please go to your doctor.

My wee man would have seizures similar to what you are describing. His episodes would start like that, eyes fixed and staring, mouth clenched, fist clenched, face red and then turning progressively bluer until he was given o2 though. In his case, they were definitely seizures, measured on the monitor. He had 6 in his first 24 hours, then about 1 per week until 6 weeks when they started becoming more frequent - daily by 8 weeks, multiple times daily by the time he passed away.

I don't won't to scare you as this may definitely not be the case with your little man, but you are concerned enough to post, so please get it checked out
Lisa
Erin Nicole19 Dec 07
Annah Paige 2 Jan 11
Connor John 26 May to 7 Aug 09
My beautiful angel. :angel: So far from my reach, but so close to my heart.

macleesy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkijames » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:44 pm

Yes, honestly call you pediatrician. If I saw this with one of my kids, I would definitely call. The idea of getting it on video is also good...
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HappyCianci » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks ladies for the replies. I miraculously managed to get one of these "episodes" on camera, albeit a minor one. I showed two doctors and they both agreed it looked like just a variation of the moro reflex. He is alert while it is happening (can track a face) and it's positional--only happens while on his back, or partly reclined. If you pick him up or even just steady his hands, he recovers immediately. So they said no brain scans or anything necessary. Whew! I was really scared for a bit there! Thanks again and well wishes to all mommas and babes.
Me: 31 Copilot: 37
DS Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl! :babyg:
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.
HappyCianci
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 am

Glad that's all it was! It's so hard to tell whether something is serious or not, but I'm glad you got answers. My little man had a very strong Moro reflex for the first few months. He didn't do exactly what you're describing, but he would startle, freeze and then flail convulsively. It was very pronounced and happened often. We knew what it was so we weren't concerned, but it did look odd.

Anyway, So glad everything is okay!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)