Sleeping/pooping changes?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Sleeping/pooping changes?

Postby Skeely » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:43 pm

My baby's sleeping and pooping habits are changing and I am concerned they are related. She's been EBF since birth but recently she has been having a TB or so of mashed fruit or veg on some but not every day. She used to poop 4 or 5 times, but it got less and less, and last week she didn't go for I think 3 days. At the same time she started getting very fussy about going to sleep. Then, oh boy! 3 blowouts in one day and that night she fell asleep the second her head hit the mattress! Now, we are on day 2 of no poops again, at it seems she is getting fussy again. Anyone had this happen or have any insight?
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Postby kachic » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:44 am

Yup, this happened to us too. 5-6 months sounds about right. DD's poop started having more "consistency" to it and looking like normal poo, but it would take a few days to work it out. My doc said that's pretty normal when they start transitioning to regular poop. But I also helped it out a bit by feeding her some prunes. She hated just prunes alone so I started getting the apples/prunes mixture. Doesn't sound like your feeding her any constipating foods but I know that certain foods can make the poop really hard, especially carrots (which unfortunately is in about every baby food mixture out there - cos it's cheap *sigh* - also, is very skin staining on the other end.) You may want to look up on the internet other constipating foods and avoid them until her pooping gets back on track. Also, massaging their tummies in a circular motion and doing what I call "poop position" (alternating putting knees towards their chests or making them do squatting positions) helps.

But yes, when she would go a few days without pooping, she would be fussy and have a hard time sleeping.

Good luck those regular poops.. they also start smelling MUCH worse than the baby poops. Wooowee! Stinky! 8O But diaper cleanup becomes a bit easier and cleaner.
ME: 38
DH: 39
TTC #1 since 2005
:angel: 7/27/07 - 9w2d (6.5w)
:angel: 12/28/07 - 9w3d (6.0w)
:angel: 12/26/08 - 9w (6.5w)
DD born 7/24/10, 7lbs. 4oz. (Don't ever give up!)
kachic
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby anxious-annie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 am

yep, just went through this with DD!

I started feeding her high-fiber foods: prunes, pears, peaches, peas

and I give her the baby oatmeal instead of rice cereal (which is constipating) and I put 1 teaspoon of flaxseed oil in it every morning. It's all really helped and she's happier and poo's much easier now.

Sometimes giving baby a warm bath will help (you will want to have the water about chest high) because it helps them relax and "let go"...can get messy but sometimes it's worth it.

And I second the tummy massage and then bicycling the legs, etc.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Skeely » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks! I'll try the prunes and high fiber foods (she loves new foods!) and the bicycling and massage. She still hasn't gone, but at least she is sleeping better *knock on wood* Tomorrow may be a very messy day!
Haha, yes, her farts have started to stink.
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Postby Beegee » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:44 am

I'm a totally late to reply here but even now that DD is about to turn 1 (3 days, yikes!), anytime she gets slightly irregular (i.e. skips a day or two of pooping), I bust out the prunes. I especially used them when she was Adelaide's age and just getting going on solids. She loves them and it's within a few hours of eating them that she'll drop a mega-deuce. And it's also for this same reason that I don't feed her the prunes regularly. I'm talking MEGA poop following about 2 ounces of pureed prunes. Wowsa.

Enjoy! (heheheh)

ETA: Not that it really matters, but actually I think I started with the prunes regularly around 7 months. I just remembered that E didn't actually swallow enough solids to change her poops until about 6.5 months or so.
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Skeely » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Happy birthday to E!
Yep, yesterday was poop day, apparently. We burned through three outfits and two changing pad covers :lol: I guess I'm going to have to start counting every 3 days and telling people that we can't leave the house on DD's bathroom days!
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)