how to make her eat?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

how to make her eat?

Postby anxious-annie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:59 am

DD won't eat during the day. She's always either too tired or too distracted. I've tried spacing out her feeding so that she's really hungry in the hopes that then she'll concentrate on eating a decent amount and that didn't work. She ate her same very small amount and didn't even notice if she was hungry or not.

So then I tried feeding her every 1-2 hrs hoping that if she ate several times than her very small feedings would add up...but she still won't even make a head-fake at eating anything during the day.

I even go into her room for every feeding so it's the same environment, with the light-blocking shades closed so it's nice and dark and quiet...still a no-go.

I'm not concerned about her nutrition or weight gain or anything because since she won't eat all day this means she wake up ALL NIGHT LONG wanting to eat to make up the calorie deficit! GAH! She eats every 2 hours all night and it's driving me bonkers!

I know that her waking is an eating issue because on the few random days where she's eaten better during the day she'll sleep longer at night before waking up to bed fed. So I know that if I could get her to consistently eat well during the day she'd start sleeping better (and then I would start sleeping better).

Any suggestions?

If all else fails I guess I'll wait until she's old enough to drink out of a sippy cup and slip her some formula or BM during the day that way *shrug*.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:02 am

At 6 months, food is still just play and fun it's not about nutrition. Until they are a year they should be getting the vast majority of calories from BM or formula. Just let her play and experiment with foods, textures, etc.

From your last line...you are still giving BM during the day right? I think I'm misreading! LOL
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:46 am

Are you talking about solids or nursing/bottles?
If you are talking about solids, then *always* give breast or bottle first and then offer solids. There is no time frame to "get" the hang of solids. It's all experimentation right now.
You can't force a baby to eat something they do not want.

I would nurse first then have her sit with you/family while you are eating. Mash up the food you are eating and offer it to her. Let her play with it, look at it, taste it.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:46 pm

oh sorry...I meant nursing/bottle. She's doing solids but they are just practice like PP said (or to get a poo when I give her prunes LOL).

She prefers nursing but will sometimes take a bottle if it has formula (but not BM). The problem is that I can't get her to nurse or take a bottle during the day (even with a quiet and dark room) so she's up constantly all night nursing to make up the calorie deficit from not nursing for most of the day. We're both exhausted from her never sleeping.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Ahh gotcha! Okay totally different then!

What I would do is just keep offering and often. DS went through this..still does actually. he'll pop on, nurse for a minute then pop off to explore. then come back a bit later (30 minutes? less? more?) for another go round.

Keep offering and offering. when they hit this age they are so busy and everything is so exciting! :D and yet :roll: at the same time for us Mommas. This is when Nursing on demand will get you through.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:44 pm

I think that was the period when I was always topless. :lol: I would keep offering and actually back off on solids to encourage nursing more.
Is she showing any signs of dehydration during the day? Are diaper counts still good? Then it may just be something to ride out for a while.

Keep offering, don't give up!
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:59 pm

she's not dehydrated (probably because she eats so often at night LOL).

I would have an easier time of it if it was just the problem of her popping off to play but she actually gets upset because i'm holding her so I have to let her play. I even tried offering the breast every hour (yeah, that was a fun day of doing absolutely nothing) and she STILL wouldn't eat. Half the time she wouldn't even suck long enough to start let-down, the other half of the time she would suck just until let-down started and then start getting fussy and want to be put down.

Sounds like it's common though and I'll just have to ride it out. I was just hoping to finally get some friggin sleep LOL. We went from her being up every 2 hrs, to her waking up every hour (when she was learning to crawl), to her now being up every 2 hrs again. She and I are both totally zonked and in need of sleep.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby twnkltoez85 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Can I ask how her napping is? Sometimes babies who are sleep deprived will show this behavior. She should be napping at some point during the day. And with her waking up often during the night she may not be getting enough sleep.
Me: 24
DH: 25
MC: April 15, 2010 5 weeks pg
BFP: June 11, 2010
:hb: nice and strong on July 27, 2010 (3 yr. Anniversary)
:hb: 150 at 15 weeks
:hb: 152 at 19 weeks IT'S A BOY! (Hubby's Bday)
Placenta Previa resolved at 30 weeks. Still a boy! (My bday)
Owen Tyler born February 17, 2011 3:26 pm

twnkltoez85
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby KimmyH » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:19 am

Sounds like she is reverse cycling. My DD was the queen of this and it never really went away until she was eating a lot of solids. She is still a child who would rather not eat if there is something to look at. I have a few suggestions for getting her to take a feeding during the day and maybe getting you some more sleep at night. Try feeding her when she is most relaxed, like the minute she starts waking up from her nap go in and nurse while she is half asleep. My DD also got really relaxed in the stroller on a walk and would often nurse right when we got back. You are already doing well with the dark quiet nursery, but maybe try sidelying under the covers in your bed. I know you must be worried about her not eating enough and you feel relieved when she eats a ton at night, but it will help to try to discourage nursing every 2 hours at night. Try spreading out night feedings by offering a paci or just rocking and cuddling her to get her back to sleep if it has only been a few hours since she nursed at night. Remember that she just needs a certain amount in a 24 hour period, so if she gets it all at night she doesn't need it in the day.

ETA: Try not to let her refusal upset you and if she refuses just go with it. Holding her on the breast will just upset you both. If she doesn't want to nurse at that moment the go do something else and offer again in 30 minutes. She can sense it if you are upset. Take comfort in the fact that she gets plenty to eat at night, even though it is hard on Mommy to never get 2 consecutive hours of sleep. :omg:
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)