9 month old waking 2-4 times at night

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

9 month old waking 2-4 times at night

Postby AnnaBanana23 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey Ladies!

My DS was a great sleeper from 6-16 weeks old, he slept 12 hours at night. Then he started waking 1-2 times a night, and within the past two weeks he is getting up 2-4 times a night. It is tiring and now that I am pregnant I am worried about getting rest etc and want to get out of this pattern.

I am nursing him. DH and I are not into the cry it out method so anything other then that is what I'd like to try.

When he wakes up he is sitting up in his crib, I have tried laying him back down, giving him his soother, putting on his sleep sheep, but he has none of that most of the time unless he has woken up soon after I just fed him. So I bring him to bed, nurse him and he eats a bit, I do sometimes nurse him till he falls asleep, BAD i know better...haha...but still do it. He doesn't always nurse to sleep, and when he doesn't he falls back to sleep in his crib just fine.

He is starting to pop some teeth and thought maybe that might be the reason for him getting up more frequently. He also just started solids at about 8 months old, he wasn't interested in it. He's been constipated as well and we just got some Restorolax for him recommended by his Doctor. So maybe it's his constipation??

I can handle this now while I am not working and have the chance to nap etc. I haven't decided yet if I will be going back to work or not, and I worry about dealing with this if I do decide to go back to work.

Any advice is appreciated!
AnnaBanana23
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkijames » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Honestly it's very normal for sleep patterns to change a lot in the first year. If I had to guess I'd say it's teeth or a milestone. But with you being pregnant, I do wonder if your supply has been affected yet? Does he seem hungry?

And what's wrong with nursing to sleep? That's one of the benefits of breastfeeding. You can soothe your baby to sleep easily :)
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 am

i second Nikkijames...nothing wrong with nursing to sleep. If I didn't then no one in my house would have gotten any sleep whatsoever in the last 17 months! LOL

Go ahead and do what you are doing. it's okay.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby peahead » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey there and congratulations on your new little bean! Lyla has also had some sleep disturbances lately and I think it's a combination of a lot of things. She's crawling, cruising furniture, popping out two teeth at a time (she has 7 so far) and also a little seperation anxiety. What I remember with my first DD, is that it does get better. I have also noted that if she skips a nap during the day, she's up all night. If you haven't already, try introducing some prunes, sweet potato or apricots to his diet. I have also started giving Lyla some water during the day in a sippy cup and she seems to really like it - especially if I put ice in it. I think it feels good on her gums. The more fluids he has, the better his constipation will be too.
Kate - 38, DH - 36, DD - 4, DD2 - 2
#2 :bfp: 1/23/10 beta 12dpo - 69, progesterone 25.7 beta 14 dpo - 174 9/24/10 7lbs3oz, 19.5"

peahead
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnnaBanana23 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks Ladies for you advice!

I don't mind nursing to sleep, definitely a bonus of nursing! But just worried he was dependent on that to sleep and was the cause of him getting up more. He has been crawling since 8 months old and cruising furniture like crazy, exploring the house more, and definitely a bit of separation anxiety. Two bottom teeth are poking through for sure, and it has been hot. Yesterday he didn't sleep in the afternoon and was up until 9:30pm and up 4 times at night then up at 6am. I'm exhausted!! He just went down for his afternoon nap a bit later then usual and thinking he'll be up till 9pm again at least. I miss those 7pm bed times! ;)

I have thought a bit about my nursing supply going down, he doesn't seem to be too hungry, when I have nursed him today and hasn't be nursing for very long. I gave him a big bowl of fruit smoothie (blueberries, banana and nectarine with prune juice). I haven't given him sweet potato for a while but should go make at batch for him. I have been feeding him broccoli and prunes mostly last week. He has been drinking a bit from his sippy cup but not a ton. I have been mixing his RestoroLax the doctor prescribed. Still not poop!
AnnaBanana23
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:02 pm

okay wait..has he always been constipated? Even when he was EBF? When did this start? What was his normal poop schedule?

As for being dependent...they are little for such a short amount of time. he will not go to college needing to nurse to sleep. He will be completely and totally fine if you nurse him to sleep at 9 months old. I PROMISE.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:48 pm

You might need to put him back at the 7:00 bedtime. It's counterintuitive, but frequently an earlier bedtime will make them sleep longer. Does he still take two naps or one? Maybe he only needs one nap and an earlier bedtime?
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:26 am

DD was up 2-4x/night from 6-12 months, probably due to teething. I nursed her back to sleep every time. Shortly after her first b-day, she started sleeping 12-14 hour stretches without waking and hasn't looked back. If I were you I would just keep doing what you're doing for a couple more months and see what happens. I have heard many anecdotal stories about BF on demand babies becoming more independent around the 12 month mark and not needing the nighttime nursings anymore (not that there is anything wrong with it if they still do, though!).

DD never had any problems with constipation, so I can't offer much guidance there. Blueberries and strawberries have always kept her moving. Good luck!
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 am

Could he be hungry? If you're pregnant, perhaps your milk supply is dropping, and if he isn't into solids, he could be needing the extra food. Just a thought.

Could also be teething, separation anxiety,, developmental phase, etc.

Like someone else said, sleep patterns seem to change a lot the first year. I have an almost- 9 month old and he's been all over the charts. A great sleeper early, then bad, then better again, then 6 - 7 months was AWFUL, and now he's back to up only once a night.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MICHELLEML » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:48 pm

We are having the same issue minus the pregnancy thing. My little man has been waking up at least 4 times a night. He is teething has one tooth out so far and another on the way. I have 3 kiddos at home a 9yr old 2 yr old and little man who is 8 mon old. I do hope it gets better for us both :D
Me-38
DH-40
Ds1-4/02
DD- 10/08
Ds2- 12/10

MICHELLEML
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)