HELP!!!

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

HELP!!!

Postby coastieschick » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:48 am

UGH, I feel like such a bad mom b/c I am really starting to get frustrated over this but DS just won't sleep! I'm at a loss, we cut back his naps and after a while he started sleeping in until 5:30-6am again. It was great for about a week, now we've been slowly getting earlier and earlier until this morning at 3:20 he decided he was ready to be up for the day :x

He had always been a good sleeper, he started STTN at around 3 months, then around 6-7months he started sleeping in less (used to be around 8, then 7, 6, 5...) I don't know what more to do, he goes down at 7, the first time we tried getting him to sleep more we moved his bed time and it made things worse.

He's never & even still not a good napper so its not like he's getting too much sleep. He'll sleep for maybe an hour. Sometimes he shocks us and sleeps for almost 2 but its REALLY rare.

I just feel like I cant catch a break here, its not getting up in the middle of the night for a little bit and going back to sleep its getting up at 3:20 and wanting to stay up for the day, IDK what to do......... :cry:
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kpatty321 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:42 am

Hi coastiechick, I saw this post and seriously I could have posted this two years ago! My son was not a good sleeper until he was about 18 months old. I went through the same thing you are going through now and I understand how hard it is!

My son would wake up at a crazy hour (like 4:00 am and want to be up for the day and we would bring him back into our bed and most days he would fall back to sleep. It is a bad habit to start especially if you want him to sleep in his bed, but some days (like when we both worked) it was the only solution and we used it as a last resort. When he was older (around 18 months he started sleeping better and longer so we didn't need to do this anymore).

Maybe some other things to think about ...
Does your DS use a pacifier? I don't know if this is something that you want to use, but my son would wake up because he wanted it and maybe it would give your son some comfort.
Do you keep his room really dark? We got the darkest room darkening shades we could find and it helped him nap during the day.
Does he have a little lovey toy or a small blankie that he could play with in his crib?

Hopefully some others will jump on this thread with advice - sleepless nights are DIFFICULT! Good luck!
Me and DH: 31
DS#1 3 years old
DS#2 Born January 25th

kpatty321
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:20 am

he has a paci, he really only uses it when he sleeps, maybe weaning him from using that would help b/c he wouldn't wake up when he looses it?

he has a lovey too and most the time when he's waking up from naps he won't let me pick him up he just wants to play with him but...
...its that first morning wake up that's just so darn early & he won't play he wants UP
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MomTo2Boys » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:40 am

what does he do when he wakes? Does he fuss/whine or cry/scream? My son used to wake up around 4-5am, and I used to just get him. Then I let him be, and for the first week or so it'd take him in hour to go back to sleep. Then little by little he would go back to bed quicker and quicker. Now about 2 months later he doesn't wake up at all.
~*Melissa*~
DS1 05.07.09 - born at 34w 4d
DS2 07.26.10 - born at 35w 2d
DS3 11.01.11 - born at 36w 5d

ImageImageImage
MomTo2Boys
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:17 am

when he first wakes up in the morning he fusses, naps he usually pays in his crib for a while. We're trying to push back his bed time little by little and that seems to be helping. fx...
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 am

My guess is that he's not getting enough sleep during the day & is over tired. The reason lessening his naps worked @ first was he HAD to sleep to catch up, but it didn't last long. This can be common. I personally wouldn't mess with his bedtime. When is his nap? @ 10 mo it's very rare for them to only need one nap, so I'd try to put him down around 9-9:30 and then around 2/2:30. Don't let him sleep more than 2 hrs for the first one, so he'll take a 2nd one. If he wakes up reeeally early, you can move the naps back a little, but try your best to stick near those times.

I know common sense says give them less sleep so they'll sleep more, and that works for adults, but most of the time babies are opposite. Sleep begets more sleep. This is my take on it from what I've read/experienced.

Hope you both get more sleep soon!!!
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

That's what we try, I keep him up as long as possible when he wakes up in the morning before giving him a nap but usually its an hr or 2 after waking up, then a nap around 10-11 and one around 2. He usually only sleeps for an hr give or take.

we moved his bedtime just to 7:30-8 (it was 7) and the first night he slept till 7:20, then last night he went down at about 7:50 and woke up around 5:40.
I'm hoping this sometime between 7&8 bedtime and the 2-3 naps a day will make a diff. but its just so hard to pinpoint what's making him get up so early.
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:06 am

Oh, I thought your OP said he only took one nap a day- 1-2 hrs. Sorry!

Then I would try to cut out one of the naps, and then maybe that will lengthen the other 2. Do whatever it takes to keep him after that early am wakeup. The Baby Whisperer says that the best cure for early am wakeups is to move the first nap BACK, which is really hard @ at first. Again, moving his bedtime back may help at first, but then it may backfire on you after a couple days. But 7:30 isn't bad. GL!!!
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)