Won't pick up & eat finger food...

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Won't pick up & eat finger food...

Postby molly » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi DD is over 8 months and is very active. She loves to roll everywhere and picks things up all the time. She is very good with her hands so it stumps me that she is not at all interested at picking up food! My boys had no issues with this and although it's great she doesn't put things in her mouth (with lots of small toys around) she won't eat any finger food. If I hold it for her in her mouth she will suck on it, but that's it. She will hold something in her hand, but just waves it around like a toy! Anyone experience this before?
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby franni » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 am

My 10 1/2 month old DS does this with some foods as well. Maybe they just need to keep practicing with different foods? I'm not sure as this is our first child, but yeah, some foods he'll pick up and eat no problem and other foods he just "waves" around or throws it on the ground and has no interest...almost as if he doesn't know it's food or something, lol!
franni

Postby Nikkijames » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:18 am

Does she put other things in her mouth? Like does she mouth toys and pick up random crap and put it in her mouth?
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Skeely » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:12 am

DD is just starting--she has, on occasion, put a little bit of food in her mouth, but last night was the first night she really fed herself well (9mos). So I think you are within the realm of the totally normal! Maybe your boys were early adopters!
Skeely
Angel
Angel

Postby molly » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:10 am

Thanks for your replies! Melissa, not really - she will suck on her own fingers but she doesn't really put much in her mouth - a few toys every no and then and she will suck on her fists through material if she's swaddled... I need to watch her a bit closer to see if it's everything, or just food... :?
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)