Nap Help!

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Nap Help!

Postby franni » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 am

I'm in need of some advice. My 11-month-old has been very religious with his naps since we started getting him to nap in his crib at around 6/7 months. He takes two naps a day and each last AT LEAST an hour..most often longer. Normally I nurse him and he falls asleep, which I then go lay him in his crib. Starting last Thursday for his morning nap I nursed him, he fell asleep and I went to lay him in his crib only he woke up crying and didn't get a morning nap. The same thing happened for his afternoon nap and Friday morning nap. He did take a good nap Friday afternoon but was crying a lot when he woke up. Saturday he had both naps because we were driving and so he slept in the car seat. Sunday he did the same thing - wouldn't sleep in the crib and so far this morning he won't. He falls asleep each time, but as soon as I go to lay him down he wakes back up and just cries. His sleeping at night is normal - still gets up, but that's normal for him. I haven't changed routines or foods or anything like that. I've tried Tylenol and Motrin in case it was pain, but that didn't make a difference. I also tried lengthening times between his naps and that didn't help. He is super tired and I know he needs to nap, but just won't. He did have one tooth come through on Saturday and the other side is bruised like there will be one soon. I don't know if it's teething or something else completely. I thought I'd ask for any advice, tips, suggestions and of course prayers!!! Thanks :)
franni

Postby bethann » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 pm

It could be a number of different reasons that he is doing this but I would honestly try putting him down sleepy but awake. At 11 months he should start self soothing and alot of babies wake up crying b/c they fall asleep in your arms but then feel the mattress and wake up b/c they would rather be with you. He may cry and fuss at first but this is a skill that he needs to learn now. Alot of times they start having sleep issues when they start walking also- is he walking yet? I just went through some of this with my 14 month old twins and now they are both sttn and taking good naps without fussing or crying. HTH!
Me: 28, DH: 31
2 furbabies Vegas and Titan
IVF #2 a success! Twins! Born 8-9-10
Surprise BFP the natural way! Baby Ava due in December 2011!
bethann
Angel
Angel

Postby BeccaM » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:13 am

Sounds like teeth to me.

And I do agree that you may want to start working towards getting him to self soothe. But hard teething may not be the best time to start! :) My LO still nurses before naps usually, but not to sleep. He's still awake when I lay him down. He sometimes fusses and cries even, but now that I have been consistent with it, he is going down typically quite quickly.

If it's teething, which it sounds like it is (messes up my LO's naps, as well), there isn't a whole lot you can do. Just try whatever you can to get him a nap. At this point, since my LO is already adjusted to our routine of me laying him down awake, I will let him cry some. But I make sure if it's really bad that I give him something for the discomfort first, like a homeopathic teething remedy.

Hope your LO gets more rest soon!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)