Two Week Wait

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.
Post a reply

Nap Help!

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 am

I'm in need of some advice. My 11-month-old has been very religious with his naps since we started getting him to nap in his crib at around 6/7 months. He takes two naps a day and each last AT LEAST an hour..most often longer. Normally I nurse him and he falls asleep, which I then go lay him in his crib. Starting last Thursday for his morning nap I nursed him, he fell asleep and I went to lay him in his crib only he woke up crying and didn't get a morning nap. The same thing happened for his afternoon nap and Friday morning nap. He did take a good nap Friday afternoon but was crying a lot when he woke up. Saturday he had both naps because we were driving and so he slept in the car seat. Sunday he did the same thing - wouldn't sleep in the crib and so far this morning he won't. He falls asleep each time, but as soon as I go to lay him down he wakes back up and just cries. His sleeping at night is normal - still gets up, but that's normal for him. I haven't changed routines or foods or anything like that. I've tried Tylenol and Motrin in case it was pain, but that didn't make a difference. I also tried lengthening times between his naps and that didn't help. He is super tired and I know he needs to nap, but just won't. He did have one tooth come through on Saturday and the other side is bruised like there will be one soon. I don't know if it's teething or something else completely. I thought I'd ask for any advice, tips, suggestions and of course prayers!!! Thanks :)

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 pm

It could be a number of different reasons that he is doing this but I would honestly try putting him down sleepy but awake. At 11 months he should start self soothing and alot of babies wake up crying b/c they fall asleep in your arms but then feel the mattress and wake up b/c they would rather be with you. He may cry and fuss at first but this is a skill that he needs to learn now. Alot of times they start having sleep issues when they start walking also- is he walking yet? I just went through some of this with my 14 month old twins and now they are both sttn and taking good naps without fussing or crying. HTH!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:13 am

Sounds like teeth to me.

And I do agree that you may want to start working towards getting him to self soothe. But hard teething may not be the best time to start! :) My LO still nurses before naps usually, but not to sleep. He's still awake when I lay him down. He sometimes fusses and cries even, but now that I have been consistent with it, he is going down typically quite quickly.

If it's teething, which it sounds like it is (messes up my LO's naps, as well), there isn't a whole lot you can do. Just try whatever you can to get him a nap. At this point, since my LO is already adjusted to our routine of me laying him down awake, I will let him cry some. But I make sure if it's really bad that I give him something for the discomfort first, like a homeopathic teething remedy.

Hope your LO gets more rest soon!
Post a reply
Milkies Milksaver
Milkies Milk Trays
DreamBelly Butter
Nursing Blend