Traveling with 4-6 Week Old?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Traveling with 4-6 Week Old?

Postby ktbug87 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:13 am

We may be completely crazy...which is why I figured I would ask.

We're expecting our first January 21. My midwife expects I may go a few days late. So I'm guessing baby will be 4-6 weeks old.

My grandfather's 80th birthday is at the very end of February (he was a leap year baby), and my parents along with other family are all traveling there to celebrate. It would be a 5 hour drive and we would stay overnight with family, then the next day a 4 hour drive to his house. For his actual birthday celebration, he has rented a box at the horse races (which we don't technically have to go to I guess).

Anyway...my question is...would I be absolutely crazy to try and make that trip so soon with our first baby? I will be exclusively breastfeeding with no pumping planned.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice!
Me: 25 (Katie)
DH: 30
DS: (born 2/5/12 at 42w1d via emergency c-section after transfer during home birth)

ktbug87
Addicted
Addicted

Postby bethann » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:25 am

You aren't crazy- I traveled alone 5 hours with the twins at 8 weeks (they were bottle feeding by then) AND we will be traveling 5 hours with the new baby when she is just a few days old!! This time I will be exclusively pumping. Just plan on making at least 2- 30 minute stops along the way to change and feed the baby. One of those you will probably have to fill up your gas tank and go to the bathroom anyway! Most babies don't have a true "sleep schedule" that early- so it probably doesn't matter what time of day you leave unless you just notice that she sleeps more during a certain time of day. Good luck and have fun! :)
Me: 28, DH: 31
2 furbabies Vegas and Titan
IVF #2 a success! Twins! Born 8-9-10
Surprise BFP the natural way! Baby Ava due in December 2011!
bethann
Angel
Angel

Postby KimmyH » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 am

Sounds fun! I don't think you're crazy at all :D Just plan on stopping as needed to BF. If she has a long sleep stretch routine, it might be easier to leave at that time so she sleeps most of the way. Travelling at that age is pretty easy because the baby will sleep a lot. Make sure you have a good baby carrier for the baby to nap in and feel secure while you are out and about with the family. Baby's that age can get over tired and over stimulated easily if they are passed around and miss naps, and I always found it easier to say no to passing her around when she was snuggled up sleeping in my Moby wrap.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:39 am

I think you'll be fine. You'll need to stop at least twice to take the baby out of the carseat for a stretch, but most likely they'll sleep through most of the drive. If possible have someone sit in the back!
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kryssy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:43 am

That sounds fine. When DS was 7 weeks we travelled to my family which was an 8 hour drive, in northern Alberta in February. We stopped along the way to feed him and had to drive slower than usual do to snow, it actually was closer to an 11 hour trip that time. It was worth it though to see my family, DS was so good, he slept most of the way and on the way back he started "talking" to us.
Me: Kryssy 32
DH: 28
DS: Born Dec. 27, 2010
DS: Born Aug. 30, 2012
DD: Born Dec. 12, 2013
5 Angels.

ImageImage
Kryssy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby BeccaM » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:53 am

Nah, not crazy at all! My MIL made a 1800 mile road trip with a six week old son and five other older kids besides... now SHE was crazy :lol: !

But seriously, they travel better at that age than they do later. My LO hated the carseat after he was about 2 months old. I would just sit in back with your baby part of the time, so he knows you're near by. And plan on stopping often to nurse and change diapers. It should go fine!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:42 am

Ditto... little babies like that are actually easier to travel with than older babies who are more alert and need more entertainment.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:21 pm

We took a car trip (approx 4 hours) with dd when she was 7 weeks old. It was a piece of cake! I fed her right before we left and slept the whole way there. She woke up crying and hungry right as we pulled in the driveway.

The way home was a bit more difficult b/c it wasn't during her sleepiest time. After about 2 1/2 hours, she started screaming and nothing would console her, but to stop, feed her, hold her and calm her down. I think she was bored/lonely/uncomfortable in the back seat. DH sat with her the rest of the way home and she was fine.

I agree about putting the baby in carrier of some sort. DD loved the Peanut Shell sling and the Moby at that age. Make sure you have a nursing cover in case you need to nurse and can't get privacy.
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 pm

You should be fine! I took my daughter on a road trip to Florida when she was 8 weeks old... 27 hours! I sat next to her the whole way, but she slept a lot.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lydiasinger73 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:19 pm

I think it is easy to travel with babies when they’re that small and still on breast milk. There’s not much you need to carry except a whole lot of diapers! A nursing pillow worked really well and allowed me to nurse baby comfortably during the journey.
lydiasinger73
Friend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)