Starting cereal?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

When did you start your LO(s) on cereal/solids?

3-4 months (or less)
17%
4-5 months
52%
5-6 months
22%
6-7 months
9%
7+ months
No votes

Total votes : 23

Starting cereal?

Postby MrsLewis907 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:41 pm

I bought our first box of rice cereal tonight....though it might be a couple weeks or so before I decide to actually feed it to them.

I didn't know if I should get the rice cereal or oatmeal cereal, but I got rice, figuring I could start with that, and then go to oatmeal...does that sound like a good idea??

And when did you feed it to them (at what part of the day), at first? I know I should start with one feeding a day (or not even every day is necessary, I realize this)...but I was wondering if I could do it mid morning or midday/afternoon? I think it would be much easier to do it then than try and do it in the evening. But I'm not sure...does it really help babies to start sleeping better? Cause DS was STTN for about 2 months, and in the last week has started waking again around 4ishAM SCREAMING to eat, and then totally throwing the entire day's feeding schedule off because of it (which wouldn't be too bad if I didn't have another baby to try and keep on the same schedule!).

Also, I'm still debating on when to actually start them....I had wanted to wait until 6 months, but Evann is really seeming like he's getting ready, and totally watching food that people is eating. I've been holding him off, waiting for Hannah to seem more like she's ready to start too, to start them at the same time...but now I'm considering starting them around 5 months...and well, like I said, I bought the cereal already, so I don't know! *poll*
Ashli 32, DH Patrick 33
Twins - DD1 Hannah & DS1 Evann - 7, DD2 Lily - 5, DD3 Abigail - 5
BFP - Mar 20, 2015 / Miscarried - March 26, 2015
Baby #5 - Shelby Nicole, born April 13, 2016, 6lb5oz, 19in
MrsLewis907
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LuckyWifey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:23 pm

We started cereal at 4 months. I would wait as long as you can! It was fun for the first month or so and then just got frustrating as trying to feed 2 babies at once leaves lots of time for 4 little hands to be everywhere.

We started at their 2nd feeding of the day (bottle at 7, cereal at 10 followed by bottle). We did a week of rice cereal, a week of oatmeal cereal, a week of barley cereal and then a week of mixed cereal. Once we got passed that we added a afternoon/night feeding of veggies (bottle at 1, veggies at 4). Once we went through a month of veggies, we added fruits to the cereal feeding in the morning. Be sure to wait a few days before introducing each new food.

Good luck to you! Oh...we just went to 3 meals a day at 9 months. Hope that helps.

Vanessa

:hb: 160 - 7w1d
:hb: 169 - 9w1d
:hb: 136 - 13w4d
LuckyWifey
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby blessedmommy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:02 pm

never!

We skipped baby food. Both girls went straight to soft table foods. at 7 months old.
Me-25, DH-26, DD#1-5yo-diabetic, DD#2-3yo, DS#2- March 25, 2011
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abfamilyphoto/

blessedmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JenAsh3 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:08 pm

We started at about 5 mos. I just picked the happiest time of day for the 1st month or so...and that varied each day--some days it never happened! :wink: We started w/ rice cereal, but switched to oatmeal about 1 month later b/c they didn't like the rice.

And it made no difference on sttn.
Jen
A&D 12/12/07
P 10/6/09
JenAsh3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby _Tawny » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:10 am

We started the week before she turned 6 months. It took about a month or so for her to really get the hang of it. I'm glad I waited....solids are so messy, it's much easier just dealing with milk! Now everything I wear gets crusted with baby food, as does DD's clothes :D Rite of passage I know, but makes me a bit wistful for the early days!
_Tawny
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)