Just playful or aggressive puppy??

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Aggressive vs Playful

Aggressive
20%
Playful
80%

Total votes : 15

Just playful or aggressive puppy??

Postby amandamarie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:07 pm

I had posted here before how I was hesitant about getting a Chihuahua because of their reputation with kids. Well he is a very loving sweet chihuahua who is VERY hyper.. and I think its cute.. Thing is he chases Ashton around and likes to jump up on him and nibble on him. Ashton will put his fingers in the dogs mouth and the dog will nibble on him. The dog will also chase him around and jump up on Ashton to nibble on various body parts. Ashton laughs and doesn't seem to mind it at all.. but it worries me. Also if Ashton is laying down the dog will come nibble on his ears!!! 8O The dog LOOKS like he's playing in good fun and Ashton doesn't seem to mind it.. The dog has a happy smiling expression on his face and his tail is wagging and he barks in a playful way and looks like he's chasing him in a playful manner. He never growls or looks angry whatsoever.. To me it looks like they play like the way I've seen some dogs play outside.. rough... but still just play. But I'm worried about the biting.. and whether or not I'm mistaking play for aggression? The puppy does the same thing with me and I normally substitute a chew toy in place of my hand. Once he gets his energy out he calms down and is a lovey lap dog calm as can be.. so Im just confused!! I've never had a puppy before so I have no idea whats normal playfulness and whats considered more aggressive behavior. Help! I don't want to give the puppy back but if he is being aggressive I have no choice! He's about 11 weeks old I think... if that makes a difference.

amandamarie
Addicted
Addicted

Postby slinds » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:32 pm

Totally playful behavior BUT, you are right to often substitute a toy becuase even though he is playing it will eventually hurt and without being too harsh about it I would start teaching him that it is not acceptable. Of course even now when I get down and roll around with our dog she nibbles my ears and hands when I rough house. She does know however NOT to do it to the kids . . . .
ImageImage
ImageImage
slinds
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mandyt6 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 pm

I agree with pp - that is playful behavior, but as she gets older, you have to teach her what is acceptable and what is not. How long have you had her?
DD: 5
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
15 DPO Beta 158
17 DPO Beta 578
24 DPO Beta 9428
mandyt6
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby amandamarie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:49 pm

We've had him for 1 week. How do I train him to not bite when he plays?

amandamarie
Addicted
Addicted

Postby eh_ep » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 pm

okay I have some suggetions to try. I had 2 Jack Russells and I got them not to bite!

So the first thing is that I suggest starting to train the bitting out NOW, not later because it will be harder later and the bitting will get rougher too.

I used the yelping method with my first dog (this works really well if you have a sensitive dog which he is) Start by you initiating a play session on the ground, just play like you normally would and then if he bites hard (like you can feel his teeth and it kinda stings) then let out a big yelp like your really hurt then take your hands away and stand up and do not make eye contact for at least 1 minuet. do this every time he bites a little too hard (it would work best if every member of your family did this as well, with Ashton since he's not going to cooperate then you do the yelping and seperate them for a time)

then you will notice that the puppy will stop biting that hard, it may take a few weeks. The next step is to yelp like your in pain when there is less biting pressure applied and keep going until you yelp at just the touch of teth to your flesh. The dog should quickly learn that he cannot bite skin. Do this with toys in your hand as well as treats and it should work. My dog will not let his teeth touch skin at all! (makes me feel a lot safer letting him play with Caitlin!)

The reason this method works is that it is how they learn naturaly, as puppies play they yelp and teach each other what is to hard for play, so you can use it to teach them that no bitting is okay....

you can PM me if you need more details

:angel: M/C sept 1, 2007 5w1d
:angel: M/C Feb 6, 2008 11w3d D&C feb 8
:hb:DD: Dec 20, 2008
:angel: M/C Jan 28, 2014 5w3d
BFP June 24 11dpo due March 6, 2014
:angel: M/C July 1, 2014 4w4d
BFP May 20 9dpo due February 1, 2016
Beta 14dpo 101
Beta 16dpo 172
Beta 18dpo 414
Beta 35dpo 36265
First U/S 7 weeks :hb: 126
Second U/S 11 weeks :hb: 175

eh_ep
Addicted
Addicted

Postby nessifly » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm

eh_ep wrote:okay I have some suggetions to try. I had 2 Jack Russells and I got them not to bite!

So the first thing is that I suggest starting to train the bitting out NOW, not later because it will be harder later and the bitting will get rougher too.

I used the yelping method with my first dog (this works really well if you have a sensitive dog which he is) Start by you initiating a play session on the ground, just play like you normally would and then if he bites hard (like you can feel his teeth and it kinda stings) then let out a big yelp like your really hurt then take your hands away and stand up and do not make eye contact for at least 1 minuet. do this every time he bites a little too hard (it would work best if every member of your family did this as well, with Ashton since he's not going to cooperate then you do the yelping and seperate them for a time)

then you will notice that the puppy will stop biting that hard, it may take a few weeks. The next step is to yelp like your in pain when there is less biting pressure applied and keep going until you yelp at just the touch of teth to your flesh. The dog should quickly learn that he cannot bite skin. Do this with toys in your hand as well as treats and it should work. My dog will not let his teeth touch skin at all! (makes me feel a lot safer letting him play with Caitlin!)

The reason this method works is that it is how they learn naturaly, as puppies play they yelp and teach each other what is to hard for play, so you can use it to teach them that no bitting is okay....

you can PM me if you need more details

These are great tips.

I have a small breed as well, and another tip for you - don't let the dog ever feel cornered by your kids. For instance, if the dog is up on the sofa and your child comes in his face, and the dog feels like he has nowhere to run. These are the instances in which normally playful dogs (especially small breeds who feel threatened more easily) will nip out of defensiveness.
Me:31 DH:32
nessifly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mandyt6 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:11 pm

We also did the yelping at first...and then moved to yelling OUCH. It totally worked, but takes time (we have a beagle). We did it exactly how pp did it. I did alot of research when our dog was a puppy, and that's the best way to go about it! Sorry - was calling your dog a "she"!
DD: 5
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
15 DPO Beta 158
17 DPO Beta 578
24 DPO Beta 9428
mandyt6
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 am

My dog is an adult chuhuahua and he is scared of our LO. He yaps and snaps at Wyatt when he acts too rough with the dog. Never bits, just snaps his teeth to scare him (kinda like when they are playing and dont actually bite) We are working on it with both of them... and have to always watch them. Luckily, the chihuahua knows to sit on the top of the couch, etc so LO can't really get to him most of the time. But it is a scary thought that he COULD bite him.
What's weird is, he KNOWS Wyatt is his master and rolls over in front of him and sits near him, just out of arms reach.
Anyway, it sounds like yours is just being a puppy and hopefully since they are getting to know each other when he is still a puppy- he will be comfortable with him as he gets older, too.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)