questions about birth control options....

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Would you use an IUD?

Poll ended at Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 pm

Yes, I like the convience
11%
No, I like my other methods
89%

Total votes : 9

questions about birth control options....

Postby cassie1682 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm not sure this is necessarily the best group to post this in but, I do have a toddler :) My husband and I are planning on waiting one more year for my son to be close to 3 to have another baby. I took the mini pill while I breastfed and then a conventional birthcontrol pill after that. But now I'm having issues with my insurance wanting me to pay $150/3mo for bcp or switch pills. Well, I don't like to be bullied and I don't really want to switch from a pill that has been working for me for 5+ years, so I'm considering other options. IUD's...any thoughts? Anyone have positive or negative comments. I work around OB's so I will be picking brains later this week however I wanted some "mommy" advice too. Thanks!!!!!
Cassie:29 :hb: James:30
DS- Korbin - 3 yrs
Twins! Due 3/5
7/23: Twin A: :hb: 160's measuring 7w3d Twin B: :hb: 160's measuring 7w5d
8/20: Twin A: :hb: 168 Twin B: :hb: 171
8/28: Twin A: BOY Twin B: GIRL Both measuring right where they should be!

cassie1682
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby scases » Sat May 15, 2010 11:12 am

I had the Mrena in the past. I had it for 5 years. I liked it and had no sife effects from it. I conceived right after I had it removed, but had a miscarriage. I conceived again the next month and Vivian is now 19 months. When I had the MC my doc said if he woud have know we were goign to TTC he would have recommended waiting 1-2 cycles first due the IUD preventing the lining of the uterus from buidling up. I O'd about 10 days after I had the IUD removed and we only know this because we DH was travelign for work and he was home for 3 days that month. I also had some cramping around then but didn't think nothing of it since I suffered from IBS. Then 2.5 weeks later I felt sick and tested. I MC'd a week later. I charted the next month and I O'd again 13 days after the MC and got a BFP 2.5 weeks later.

Not trying to scare you but just wanted to tell you my experience from having it and what happened after it was removed. Of course I had it for 5 years so there was a lot more adjusting that my body had to do after the removal. I know a few people on here that had it 9 months - 2years and had no problems with pregnancy after the removal. I had no AF with the IUD so I know my lining was probably very thin when I had it removed and my doc said it wasn't thick enough for implantation. This was verified through and ultrasound.
Me - 35, DH - 36
DD - 13, DS - 11, DD - 3

http://casesfamily.blogspot.com/

scases
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby january » Sun May 16, 2010 12:35 pm

I picked "no".

Only because I'm really sensitive to all forms of hormonal birth control. BCP caused really bad depression and anxiety issues & I'd be really afraid to put something more permanent like Mirena in, knowing that it could possibly cause the same problems.

I had considered the copper IUD at one point, but I hadn't gotten any PPAF's yet and decided to wait to see what my PPAF cycles would be like; I had heard Paragard caused heavier cycles & didn't want to make bad cycles even worse.

Now that I know my cycles are fairly light & symptom free, we've been doing NFP and condoms and it's working well for us.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnchorsAway » Tue May 18, 2010 6:51 pm

Would Nuvaring be an option? Before ttc, I used it and it was awesome. Zero side effects and I wore it 4wks and then replaced it with a new one... No periods! Since I didn´t do bc in between babies, I´m have no idea which ones are okay as far as bf´ing goes, etc....
~Me: 31
~Dh: 34
~DS: 16 Months~

~04/12/2010: At our 20wk Scan it was discovered that our baby boy has a heart defect (Overriding Aorta, Tetrology of Fallout). We are praying for Mason's health and are remaining positive throughout this journey~
http://preciousmason.blogspot.com/
[/URL]Image
AnchorsAway
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby michellejune » Wed May 19, 2010 4:02 pm

As far as the Mirena issues as PP's have said, I am no expert but kinda feel like this is the case with any BC.
I was on the pill for 12 years and got pregnant the first month I got off it and miscarried. I was told my body just wasn't ready yet.
So no matter what method you choose, it's best to wait a few cycles before TTC.
I have Mirena now and I am pleased so far!
michellejune
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SWCBWIFE » Wed May 19, 2010 4:19 pm

AnchorsAway wrote:Would Nuvaring be an option? Before ttc, I used it and it was awesome. Zero side effects and I wore it 4wks and then replaced it with a new one... No periods!

I am also on the Nuvaring and love it! Ive been on it for a month and on the 3rd week you take it out and thats when 'Aunt Flo' arrives....And this time around it is soooooooo Light! And I also have no symptoms with the nuvaring! I didnt know that you could leave it in all 4 weeks though!!
kyler 3/14/2008 ~ Bella 2/23/2010
Image Image
ImageImage
SWCBWIFE
Angel
Angel

Postby blessedmommy » Wed May 19, 2010 5:27 pm

I hated the Mirena. I just took it out after less than 2 years of getting it inserted. The side effects drove me crazy.
Me-25, DH-26, DD#1-5yo-diabetic, DD#2-3yo, DS#2- March 25, 2011
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abfamilyphoto/

blessedmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby michellejune » Wed May 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Nuvaring wouldn't stay in for me. Everytime we DTD DH got a "ringer". Lol
michellejune
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)