Picky eater

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Picky eater

Postby Chiteacher » Fri May 06, 2011 8:44 am

I had this posted in Solid foods, but there isn't much traffic there....

So we have been feeding DS solid foods for a while now. He has recently decided he no longer wants to eat anything. He will eat snacks, cheese, crackers, fruit but no real meals. So we tried giving him some purees to get some food in him - nope, nothing that you have to feed him.

We have made some pretty awesome food for him, sweet potato fries, broccoli and cheddar patties, meatballs, chicken and apple balls, corncakes. He will take a few bites and then throw it all over the floor.

His poop is loose now, like he is not getting enough solids....Anyone have any advice?
Me (Jane) & DH married 5/29/05 DS 5/6/10 (6lbs 7oz) DS#2 10/7/11 (10lbs 7oz)
Chiteacher
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:38 am

Are you nursing? When DS doesn't eat as much during a day his poo will revert back to yellow BF poos.

As for eating, it's okay. It really is. Try looking at a week or two worth of eating patterns vs one of two days. Keep offering him healthy good foods and he will eat the food and calories that he needs.

The above is all assuming that he has a good number of wet diapers each day,still pooping (You said he is), seems happy and healthy otherwise (not lethargic, acting unwell).

it's tough not to worry, but try to relax a bit about it. :)
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Egray » Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 am

Don't panic. One of my Dd's is like this too. She goes in cycles and sometimes will eat everything and other times nothing.

Is he getting milk? Are you giving it to him too close to meal times maybe?

How about snacking? If my dd's get their afternoon snack too close to dinner time they eat next to nothing for dinner.

Is he getting teeth in? When my girls were teething their eating was affected big time.

Condiments. My girls love condiments. I've found if they don't like something alone they will eat it with ketchup, or salsa (they love it on their eggs, but won't eat eggs alone) or BBQ sauce.

If its just a case of the picky eater try not to worry. It will pass. He will eat if he's hungry. My girls go in cycles and love things one day and won't touch it the next.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Chiteacher » Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 pm

We are formula feeding since I lost my supply a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure he doesn't want breakfast because it is right after a bottle.

He doesn't really snack much. He is pretty much a breakfast, lunch, dinner guy. Sometimes I will give him a snack when he wakes up from his second nap.

He still has plenty of wet diapers and at least one poopy one a day. He seems pretty happy during the day.

He has NO teeth! We are still waiting.....

I will try condiments. He seems to like cold things - tofu with smashed cheerios on it or string cheese.

Thanks for the advice!
Me (Jane) & DH married 5/29/05 DS 5/6/10 (6lbs 7oz) DS#2 10/7/11 (10lbs 7oz)
Chiteacher
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)