Why don't my kids like water/juice ?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Why don't my kids like water/juice ?

Postby lulu26 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:29 pm

It's such a battle everyday to get my kids to drink enough liquids. They both aren't crazy about water. I love water so it's strange to me that they don't . My DS just recently started drinking juice. He goes through phases. First he was into orange juice. Now it's grape juice. He's already on Miralax for constipation/withholding. He gets stopped up real fast, so I'm diligant about his liquid intake. A cup of juice a day + water.

Already my dd is showing signs of constipation. Ever since she started whole milk, her poop is alot harder. I was giving her yogurt everyday and the pediatritian said she might be gettting too much calcium (16 oz. milk + cheese + yogurt everyday), which constipates some kids.
She doesn't drink enough water. She hates juice so spiking the water won't help. Pediatritian said to dilute the milk with water to get some into her. Actually I started giving her a bottle of 2oz. milk + 4 oz. water in the afternoons to increase her water intake. She gets 7 oz. milk morning and nights so I know she's getting enough of it. And she loves fruits and veggies.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks? Am I doing something wrong. Are my kids just like this? Any they dont' get any sodas AT ALL. And hopefully they never will.
lulu26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:17 pm

try adding ice to the water. We did this and DS can't get enough now.

try making the water room temperature.

try letting them pick out the sippy.

Try adding a splash of lemon or lime?

When my niece was younger she also had issues with constipation. In the end 4 oz (half and half) of prune juice and water each day PLUS food grade mineral oil kept everything moving as it should.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby luvin » Fri May 06, 2011 5:20 pm

meg1492 wrote:try adding ice to the water. We did this and DS can't get enough now.

Yup, that worked for us too! The jingle sound of the ice made it more interesting to him. Also, try letting them use straws.
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Liza24 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Connor ONLY will use the straw sippy cups and LOVES his juice ( i water it down with 3 oz juice, 7 oz water in a 10oz sippy cup) I use most all Juicy Juice flavors, and Apple & Eve Fruit and vegie juices.

When i was trying to get him to drink the milk, i got the 30% less sugar Nestle Quick strawberry syrup and added 1/2 a teaspoon to his 10oz sippy cup of milk, and he loved it, and would drink plain milk after.

Here is the sippy cup. $1.97 each at Walmart cant be beat!

http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?section=prodCategories&ID=10021&pID=1098
Me:37
DH:48
Connor: 6
BFP #2!! 9/24/2015

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Liza24
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tiffaney » Wed May 11, 2011 8:17 am

our doc also said not to water down the juice and to try greek yogurt for constipation. I also give DD probiotics (chewable)
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)