Portrait Innovations

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Portrait Innovations

Postby benney » Mon May 09, 2011 10:54 am

Anyone ever use the company Portrait Innovations for pictures. They are new to our area and I am trying them out wednesday for my DS's 1st birthday pictures. We have previously used target and walmart for photos which were both nice but I think we can get better. I liked this company for a few reasons, they have handheld digital cameras so they can get more candid shots and you also get the photos the same day.

Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with them.
benney
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Egray » Mon May 09, 2011 11:39 am

I used them once for the girls christmas/birthday pics. They take good pics but man they try to sell you the most expensive ridiculous package and the whole buying/picking out picture experience is very rushed and not very fun at all.

I was confused by their packaging pricing and how much I was going to end up spending and ended up spending a ton and the girl seemed irrated that I was taking so long to pic since she had her next shoot right after me.

Overall not a good experience at all. I won't go back despite how the pics came out.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:04 pm

I loved them! They took a ton of pictures and then we got to sit through and pick which ones we wanted printed. And they were printed within an hour. I will definately go back. The pictures turned out better than I ever could have expected.
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby Zara » Tue May 10, 2011 6:37 am

They do rush you (here anyway) but the prices can't be beat (if you dont let them talk you into a ridiculous package). They will start off at the highest package and work down...just stick to your guns ;)

7/5/12 :angel: Blighted Ovum
Zara
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby RadioKitten » Tue May 10, 2011 12:53 pm

I was really happy with them. As pp have said, it's a hard sell, so just keep repeating that you only want the $9.99 package. :D The one by us gets crowded, so make an appt.
RadioKitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby benney » Tue May 10, 2011 5:05 pm

thanks for the tips. Yeah I had them explain the package pricing on the phone with me, so I have in mind what I want to spend. Im hoping since our appt is at 1pm on a weds and not near any holidays that we wont be rushed. We went to walmart for christmas pics and our walmart studio is very small. I loved the pics but i was very rushed picking them out and there were people crowding me waiting to get there pics taken. I ultimately spent way too much on the pkg cause i couldnt think. And my last experience with target wasnt good either, there was only a guy there taking the pictures, no women and my ds took like 20 minutes to warm up to the guy, he seems like he takes longer to warm up to men than he does to women, it annoyed me that there was no women there to take pictures. So I felt like I needed a new place this time.
benney
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Cayman4 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Your appt. time should be fine. We waited maybe 20 minutes before our appt. but we did it right after Christmas. I never felt rushed. They took so many pictures and asked if there was anything I wanted in the picture or to try. And when picking out the pics I wasn't pressured at all. But I did end up with a pricey package because I picked 12 poses or something like that. I hope you have a good experience.
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby mommyofgirls » Tue May 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Pic's came out awesome but VERY expensive. You get like no pic;'s for the reasonable price.
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Egray » Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 am

I wanted the disc of all the pics when I went. Which was my financial downfall! Lol.

You need to get a certain package to get the disk and that ended up costing me $80.00 for WAY too many freaking pictures. I mean. I had a million wallets, tons of big pictures too. Thank goodness we have a ton of family to give them all too. I still had tons left over though.

Then on top of all that I wanted our Christmas Cards done so I paid extra for that. When it was all said and done I ended up paying around $120.00 for everything.

I went in to pay $10.00 though! Lol. Oh well. Next year I think I will go before Thanksgiving and get the girls Birthday/Christmas pics done. Maybe it won't be so crazy then?

Either way good luck!
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby benney » Wed May 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Got the pics done. Really loved them, they took time taking the pics and tried so many different things. It was very hard to pick out the pictures and I did go a little over budget. And I do feel like I have tons of pictures, probably more than I need, even though we do have a large family. But overall it was a great experience, they took time helping me pic the photos out and enhance them and got the pics printed in 15 minutes.
benney
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby RadioKitten » Sat May 14, 2011 8:29 am

mommyofgirls wrote:Pic's came out awesome but VERY expensive. You get like no pic;'s for the reasonable price.

For $10 you get an 11x14, two 8x10, two 5x7, four 3x5 and a gazillion wallets. I thought that was a lot! Way better than the $10 Sears deal. Plus five free cards. The thing that wasn't ideal for me was they are all the same pose. So I ended up spending about $30 more to get a couple more poses. Still a really good deal, though, I felt.
RadioKitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby january » Sat May 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Portrait Innovations is like the ONLY picture option around here besides Walmart & JCP so it's where we always go. I've always been pretty satisfied.

I've never felt rushed with the picture taken, though when DD was younger I often felt like they acted all "put out" because at 6mo she couldn't sit up, so they couldn't do their typical poses with her & then at 12mo she couldn't stand by herself yet or walk, so they couldn't do the normal poses then either (I got the impression they were all thinking DD had serious developmental issues or something).

When it comes to picking out the photos, I think their methods of whittling it down are great -- I like comparing similar photos and keeping the 1 I like the best. It makes it really easy to cut down on the photos in our package. I've never felt pressured to get the big packages, but I always end up spending around $80 because DD is just too damn cute & I can't JUST get one or two poses! :D Plus, I like having the CD. But for the $80 we spend, we get a TON of photos. More than I could ever give out. So I feel like the price is reasonable.

The only thing that I *REALLY* dislike about them is that ours has this one camera that always shoots dark. And instead of fixing the damn thing, they just keep on using it. So the pics come out dark & the nice white background isn't nice & crisp & white. You really wouldn't be able to tell they were dark by just looking at the photo but when I have it hung up on the wall next to other photos with the same background but the properly functioning camera, you can really tell the difference. I wish they'd just get rid of the freaking camera. :roll:
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)