SICK and won't take any meds!

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

SICK and won't take any meds!

Postby lovlya » Mon May 23, 2011 5:48 am

My 2yr old use to take medications just fine until she had a nurse at the dr's office grab her cheeks and pinch her nose to get her to swallow it! UGH! Like a dummy I didn't speak up any say anything but was thinking what the HECK are you doing. So, I feel responsible for this.... :/
Now, I can't get her to take anything...motrin....amoxil....nothing! I've tried bribery....candy...mixing it in drinks, hiding it in food, negotiation, syringe, lil cup, spoon..... I've tried holding her down...
She holds it in her mouth....spits it out....cannpt get her to swallow any of it.
HELP! any suggestions????
Me 31 DH 31
IVF #1 twin girls born at 28 weeks
after SCH and PROM at 18wks.
hospital bed rest till delivery
Meara in Heaven- 12.25.08
Cora-now 3 yrs old
FET-BFN
FET#2-BFP It's a girl!
lovlya
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby caz1234 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm

I had this problem with my DD when she was about 16 months old. She had tonsillitis and had to take anitbiotics every 4 hours. It was absolutely horrendous.

We had to force it down her because she wouldn't take it. She spat it out all over us and all of us ended up in tears because it was so distressing.

We had to just hold her down and use a syringe to squeeze it in the corner of her cheek a little at a time. DP would hold her arms and I had to get it in her mouth. It was horrible. It got to the point where she would run and hide behind the door as soon as we got the medicine out.

There was no way round it though - she spat so much out I had to go and get more from the doctors.

She was ill again recently and needed antibiotics again. I told the doctor what a nightmare we had last time and he gave us a different antibiotic which only required two doses rather than 4 a day for 15 days!!

I convinced DD to take it - she was older then (about 21 months) and I was able to make her understand that it was important that she took it even though it didnt taste very nice.

I dont know what else to suggest apart from reasoning with her - it sounds like you tried everything we did !

Good luck.

x
Me 34 DP 39

DD took 12 months TTC
This one happened straight away!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
caz1234
Angel
Angel

Postby twinkle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:21 pm

i struggle the same with medicines, as soon as my 13mth old even sees the calpol bottle he hides his face, the only trick i have found has been to put the medicine on a normal feeding spoon and do it wen he not looking then during a meal i put it into his mouth works some of the time with calpol but antibiotics are imposible as he gets wise to it x
twinkle
Friend

Postby NicoleK03 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 pm

We had the same problem, finally I just stopped making a big deal out of it and told him we had to take his medicine. I usually just sit him on my lap facing away from me and squirt it in a bit at a time and tell him to swallow. I do kind of hold under his chin to keep his mouth closed but not rougly.

He did the same thing you are struggling with just spit it out. I'm not sure if its anything I did though or that he just grew out of that.
Me:24 DH:25 DS:Born 10/01/09 DS2: Born 5/11/11
Married:06/03/06
Image<br />Image
NicoleK03
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)