13-1/2 months and all of a sudden hates bathtime

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

13-1/2 months and all of a sudden hates bathtime

Postby aloeberry » Wed May 25, 2011 6:06 am

I hope this is just a phase. DS has loved his baths and showers since he was born and now all of a sudden he hates it. He stands up the entire time he is in the tub and clings to me and tries to climb out. I have tried to get in the tub with him, but that doesn't help. Last night I took a shower with him and that didn't work either. It used to be his favorite time of the day and now I think it is the worst. UGH. And he NEEDS a bath. He is at the playground and running all around, trying to feed himself at mealtime, he is one messy boy. HELP!
DS #1 born 4/4/10
DS #2 born 2/1/12

aloeberry
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Egray » Wed May 25, 2011 7:56 am

Maybe some new bath toys? I got the girls some thing called a yokidoo when they started resisting baths and they loved them? Other than some new toys I'm not sure what else to tell you?! Good luck though!
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tiffaney » Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 am

totally normal. I think I've seen this type of post a million times. It seems that unless you can figure out what their reason is then you just have to keep consistent and this phase will pass. stay strong!
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby molly » Wed May 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Could it be from when you wash his hair? I know mine have gane through stages with the bath (loved it as babies) and it was because they seemed to be scraed when I poured water over their heads.... We got a special bath 'jug' that has a bit that you rest on their forehead when you poor it so the water doesn't go in their eyes... May have nothing to do with it for you... but just a thought? GL!
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Wed May 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Egray wrote:Maybe some new bath toys? I got the girls some thing called a yokidoo when they started resisting baths and they loved them? Other than some new toys I'm not sure what else to tell you?! Good luck though!

Ok, that is too cool! I need to get me one of those.

OP - sorry I have no advice except to agree with Eren on some new toys? DD loves her baths and plays with her tea set ONLY. lol

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby aloeberry » Fri May 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Egray- New bathtoys would help. I need to get some of those active toys. I looked up the yookidoo and they look awesome!

Tiffaney- Phew! It helps to know that you've seen other posts like this. I really hope it is a phase.

Molly- yes, the part he hates the most is rinsing his head after I shampoo him. I am now only washing his hair every other day because of it. I have one of those special jugs and it doesn't matter. DH even helps and holds a dry washcloth over his face. He tries to run away when he sees the jug. The best method is just to do it quick and then blot his face with a dry washcloth. Anyway....yes, the water on the face is the issue. Sigh.

Moto- Hmmm....tea in the bath. What a great idea! I wonder if DS would like that.
DS #1 born 4/4/10
DS #2 born 2/1/12

aloeberry
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MotoX Mom » Fri May 27, 2011 5:34 pm

aloeberry wrote:Moto- Hmmm....tea in the bath. What a great idea! I wonder if DS would like that.

this is the one we have, its ALL she has played with for months, lol.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CDcQ8gIwAQ

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby aloeberry » Sat May 28, 2011 5:34 am

Thanks Moto. I might have to order that tea set :D
DS #1 born 4/4/10
DS #2 born 2/1/12

aloeberry
Addicted
Addicted

Postby molly » Sun May 29, 2011 5:10 am

Hmmm yeah, both my boys have been through the water on the face thing... It's a hard one! Unfortuantely there's not much you can do about it! :? But I did have a thought - I saw this hat once - called a bath hat to keep water off the face.... Something like this might help?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/45195 ... h_hat.html
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby leahtill » Sun May 29, 2011 6:40 am

We have the flow and fill water spout too and they love it. I also just got it for a friends 2 yo...he hasn't played with any other bath toys since.

I agree, try some new fun bath toys and he may forget he's in the tub.
Me 30, DH 41
IVF July 2009: Boy Girl Twins 34 weeks 1 day: 2-23-10 Alexis 4 lbs 1 oz, Zachary 4 lbs 3 oz
<br>
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
leahtill
Angel
Angel

Postby MominMD » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 am

I thought of this post last night. DS suddenly cried when I put him in the tub. He has always loved bathtime. Recently we have been giving him some showers because leaning over the tub to give him a bath is getting very hard on my preggo body. A shower is faster and easier and not so much crouching and bending over.

He refused to sit in the tub and cried. I don't know if he was expecting a shower or what. Eventually I got him to sit down, but he took the shortest bath ever. I usually wash his hair, then he plays for a while. As soon as I washed his hair he said "Clean Up" and started putting away his toys, then stood up to get out. I don't know if this was a one time thing, or a new trend.
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)