Waking to play in the middle of the night

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Waking to play in the middle of the night

Postby Syrahfina » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 pm

My almost 19 month old son just started this and I don't really know how to handle it....I'm hoping to get some advice.

Every so often over the last couple of weeks he's woken up in the middle of the night, perfectly happy, and starts babbling "mama...dada...mama....dada....hug....kiss....up....mama...dada...up....hug....hug...kiss"

My DH tried a couple of times to go into his room and soothe him back to sleep, but that failed....and bringing him into the bed with us also failed....

It's like he wants to play and doesn't care what time it is....also, he can do this anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours!

Do I just let him alone in his room, even if it escalates from cuteness into crying on his part? Do I let him "work it out" on his own for as long as it takes---up to three hours? That just seems cruel! Or do you think that because we bring him into the bed, or give him the attention he's wanting, THAT'S what causes such a prolonged period of wakefulness?

All I know is that I have to solve this within the next two months before DD arrives!

Any advice or tips would be great, and much appreciated. TIA
Me (Sarah)-30 DH (Peter)-37
DS1--Born November 7, 2009 after 2.5 years TTC
Baby #2 conceived first cycle! Amazing! Due August 13, 2011
Syrahfina
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Autumn2000 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:58 pm

Is it possible that he's napping too much during the day? Or is his bedtime need to be pushed back a bit?

I would probably fall back on the Ferber method if this was my child. We've used it with both kids and it worked for us.
Autumn (34), Jeff (34), Jack (October 30, 2008) and Elizabeth (April 27, 2010)

Image Image Image

Autumn2000
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tahnah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:40 pm

The couple times DS has done this, I've gone into his room, made sure he didn't need a change, had a bad dream or anything, and told him "It's still nighttime. Nighttime is for sleeping, not playing. Now lay down and go back to sleep." while I lay him down. Then I leave the room. He was kinda upset the first couple times, but I would just go back in and repeat the same thing. It didn't take but a handful of times and he quit trying to get us up if he wakes up.
tahnah
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Syrahfina » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:26 am

Autumn it is possible that he's napping too much...he still sometimes takes 2 naps a day.

After talking with my mom yesterday I have decided to insist on only one nap a day to see if that makes a difference. The next step will be to push bedtime back a bit.

Yesterday he slept for an hour and 45minutes...only one nap from 10 to 11:45am. He started bedtime at 7pm, which gets him down for the night by 7:30pm or 7:45pm.

Last night he woke three times! Same scenario....this time we did not go in.....he put himself back to sleep each time, and was up for anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes.

So that's progress at least! I'm hoping to fix this problem sooner than later.

Thanks for the advice so far :D
Me (Sarah)-30 DH (Peter)-37
DS1--Born November 7, 2009 after 2.5 years TTC
Baby #2 conceived first cycle! Amazing! Due August 13, 2011
Syrahfina
Addicted
Addicted

Postby tufjewel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Evaluate his nap schedule. Also the key is not taking them out of their room. Once you do that you have lost a huge battle. If you are consistent in making him stay in his room when it's bed time he will adjust on his own. If it makes you feel better then stay for a while in there with him. This has always been my tactic and I have 4 kids and one on the way and they are all wonderful sleepers. It does take planning and thought though. You have to make sure that your LO is "ready" for bed so you can feel confident in keeping him there. For instance he must have a full tummy, be dry, warm or cool enough, have a sippy of water (toddlers or older) and his lovies etc... For waking in the middle of the night I would let him talk and if turns into crying give him just a few minutes and see if he stops. If he gets into full distress then go in comfort him in his room (I have rocker so I will rock my son) try to calm him down all the while keeping him in your arms and not letting him down to play and then put him back in his bed. Repeat this as many times as needed and eventually he will just sleep right on through.

Good luck!
Shaelyn Rose
Born 6/23/2011
7.14 lbs 19 3/4 inches
tufjewel
Angel
Angel

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)