Lots of feeding questions

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Lots of feeding questions

Postby mamadru10 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:42 am

DS turned 1 on wednesday. he weaned himself from the boobie at 10 months and from the bottle at 11 and a half (had to supplement due to weight loss issues). We do not give him junk food or many table foods, with the exception of his birthday cake. I'm not sure what foods he is able to eat, he has his two bottom teeth that are partly in but thats it. I'm also not sure what type of milk to give him or how to start weaning off formula. So my questions are... what can he eat now (other than gerber jars and snacks)? how and when should I start giving him cows milk? and what type of milk should he be drinking? TIA
Matthew Glenn 09/02/1999 33w3d
Charles thomas Jr- 6/1/10- born 37w2d!
Alexandria Isabella- 11/21/12 39 weeks

mamadru10
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tiffaney » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:44 am

check out the SUper Baby Foods book - great resource with an index as to what they can have.

as for switching to milk you want to start mixing it in and then eventually switch to milk.

example:

3 oz formula - 1 oz milk, then
2:2
1:3
then finally all milk.
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby molly » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14 pm

My DS2 was exactly the same - weaned at 10mths, (had to express untill 11mths as he hated the taste of formula for a few weeks) and I think we did cows milk at about 12mths/13mths. He ate 'real food' a lot sooner than DS1 as he was the 2nd child and I just had less time (&money) to make separate meals. He pretty much ate whatever we did, but just more mushed or mixed. DD will be a whole new thing as she has allergies and I'm not looking forward to introducing food to her!!
I agree with Tiffaney, if he won't take the cows milk at first you can gradually introduce it over a few days. This is what I had to do with DD when she went from EBF to prescription hypoallergenic formula and it took about a week or so for her to fully take the new milk.
If you're interested you can google 'baby led weaning' and it might give you some ideas for new foods to try?
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby nauticaboo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:48 am

He can eat whatever you feel comfortable giving him - my DD was on all table foods by 1 year of age, and even that was at 9 months adjusted for him.

Also, I think the milk thing is over-hyped. My DD wasn't a big fan of ANY type of milk/formula - we never graduated to 8 ounce bottles, and the most she took in BM/formula on any day was about 24 ounces. For the short time that she was on whole milk, she drank less than 8 ounces in a WEEK, and as a micropreemie, did just fine. She has suspected milk protein allergy issues and has been off all milk products for about 8 months now. So I'm in the camp of "if they don't want it, don't force them".
Andrea & Kale - 28
DSS (7) and his half brother (4)

BFP after 32 cycles on 1st IUI with only 4 million post wash sperm count!

pPROM @ 25 weeks
Born on 4/3/09 @ 27 weeks (placental abruption) 2 lbs 5 oz, 14 in

ImageImage

nauticaboo
Addicted
Addicted

Postby shermy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Just based on my experience/what I have heard (but we all know we hear different things)

-The milk should be whole milk, as should all dairy products. Kiddos don't need low fat anything.
-I believe they say that you need to do BM/Formula until a year so you could always ask at your one year check up. FOR US My son is almost 11 months and he is on cows milk. He started weaning himself a couple moths ago, and breastfeeds (whenever he wants), but that is only 3x a day. He hated formula, and he loves cows milk so we go with it! We do supplement with DHA.
-It is recommended that you avoid Honey, Peanut Butter, Egg Whites until the first year (is this what you were asking) but everything else is fair game. We give Wes basically anything. He has 6 teeth, but doesn't use them for anything really. He tears skin off of fruit with them, but that about sums up the usefulness of those teeth. He is using his back gums to mash.

Just to throw out some examples of what he is eating:
-Slow cooked beef
-Roast chicken
-greek yogurt
-Scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms (we are rule breakers and he eats egg whites)
-Toast
-Pasta - he LOVES spaghetti noodles
-Stuffed pasta shells (ricotta, spinach, mushrooms, tomato sauce)
-Beans (black beans and rice is a favorite)
-Tofu...but he doesn't love it the most
-All vegetables: steamed carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, corn,
-All fruits: Bananas, slow cooker apple sauce, plums cut up, peaches cut up, (again, we are rule breakers) berries,
-HE LOVES ALL MEXICAN FOOD. L.O.V.E.S. LOOOVVEESSS

Dude, seriously, Wes eats basically everything. He is like a garbage disposal. The cutest garbage disposal ever.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby afdani1984 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:24 pm

Joey eats pretty much anything we eat, and hasn't had baby food in a few months. Anything soft, in appropriate size pieces he can eat. He was down to 3 bottles of formula, 7 oz, by 9 or 10 months, then down to 2 bottles a day at around 10 or 11 months, now at almost 13 months he is completely off the bottle (minus a day when he was sick from shots) and drinks confidently from a sippy. He has one sippy with whole milk after breakfast and a bottle of formula before bed.

Some of his favorites are:
-Any kind of fruit. strawberries, bananas, blackberries, blueberries (he chews them whole, but to start they should be cut in half), bananas, grapes (another one they say is a choking hazard..but we've never had any problems)
-Pasta with sauce or cheese.
- Wheat toast with hummus, a little bit of butter, fruit preserves
- Waffles, pancakes, french toast. We do give him both egg white and yolk but he never had any issues with either
- Cubed meat from the deli counter (less sodium than packaged). He particular likes salami and mesquite chicken
- Shredded grilled chicken
- Crescent rolls with avocado and goat cheese

We offer a little spread of healthy choices and let him choose what he wants to eat from those options. We have a harder time with veggies, so I have to find a creative way to sneak those in. Like homemade pizzas with carrots run through the food processor mixed into the sauce, as an example. Our pedi and the nutritionist at the WIC office told us with little ones you have to look at their intake over a week versus in a day, and they will eat what they need. You don't want to make mealtimes a power struggle (ie don't force them to eat something they don't want to) because it can set you up for problems in the future. It also takes repeated exposures to certain things before a child will try or accept it. Just my .02 cents.
Danielle (25), DH- Thomas (26)
DS- Joseph Miko born 31 May 2010!

1 pug: Lola (2), 1 tuxedo cat: Oreo (3) and two rat kings: Octavious and Artemis.
TTC since July 09

1-11-10 HB 145...IT'S A BOY!

afdani1984
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)