Suddenly scared at bedtime?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Suddenly scared at bedtime?

Postby Emmo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:22 pm

My DS is recently saying things are scary all the time. The dark, or different sounds, etc.

Tonight, he is flipping out in his room. First he was saying "it's dark" and so I left the hall light on and now he's just screaming and acting scared and crying. I keep going in there to make him feel better, but just a few minutes after I leave, he's crying again. I don't know what's going on or what to do. I feel bad leaving him in there for a really long time to CIO b/c I think he's scared and don't want him to feel even more scared and get traumatized...?

Let me just add, that normally he goes to bed pretty easily at night. I give him a kiss and leave the room and he goes to sleep.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rkegreen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:41 am

Maybe what you could do is let him pick out a really neat night light?

Emmie has a 1 gallon fish tank with a glow fish in it, and also a glitter lamp (like the lava lamps)

Sorry you are going through that...poor guy :(
Me: Kendra - 29
DH: Robert - 26
------------------
No Longer TTC ~ Our family is complete.
Here to Cheer!
------------------
:angel: 09/22/07
------------------
ImageImage
------------------
ImageImage
------------------
Go 'Skers!
rkegreen
Angel
Angel

Postby JADE0199 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:07 am

I agree with the nightlight idea or they have those really neat constellation lights on the ceiling and walls, that might seem soothing plus keep him distracted on what he thinks is "scary", ie: the dark.

good luck!
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby nurugger13 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:06 pm

We had this exact same issue with DS a few months ago (he turned 2 end of April) He always went to bed so easily-gave everyone kisses and then we just put him in his crib, no issues at all. We also have had his room dark from day one. Then all of a sudden he started screaming and crying about being in bed. One night we let him CIO and off and on it was about 2 hours. He was so upset and sweaty from being so worked up. I eventually gave in and had him come into our bed, he fell asleep in 2 seconds he was exhausted. I was crying too :cry:

There wasn't anything magical we did, we just changed his routine. We thought maybe he just wanted to be out with us. I did let him pick out a night light. I told him it was his special light and I put it in a outlet that he can see from his crib. It's not very bright but he likes it. For the routine, we just changed it so we give him time warnings beforehand. We say, "two more minutes then it's time to get ready for bed". We say "get ready for bed" vs "got to bed" because then we go into his room and read him 2-3 stories, which I always tell him beforehand how many we will read and as we go through the stories I always say, "2 more", "1 more", "last one", etc. Then I say, "time for night night". He also gets to choose who he wants to read him the stories-me or DH. Gives him some control but adds a consistent routine to the night time schedule.

Sorry if this sounds weird, I'm a behaviorist by trade so I'm very straightforward and try to be as consistent as possible. It's hard when it's your own kid-especially when he/she is so upset.

I'm so sorry your son is going through this, it's so upsetting as a parent-you feel helpless and it breaks your heart to hear your child cry and be genuinely upset. I hope things are getting better.
Britt (me)-33
Tim (DH)-33
DS-Braden Leo 4/30/09
DD-Addison Elise 9/29/11

nurugger13
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)