Remedies for nose & chest congestion?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Remedies for nose & chest congestion?

Postby january » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:25 pm

DD is suuuuper stuffy. I've never seen her nose run this much nor have I heard her cough so badly. The snot's clear, she's not running a fever & she's acting like she feels fine. But she's not sleeping well because of the congestion.

I have a humidifier running & a plug-in vapor strip thing in her room, I've done saline spray in her nose & rubbed baby vapor rub on her chest. Nothing at all is clearing up the congestion, nor giving her any relief.

What else can I do?? I hate that there's no OTC medicine that I can give her.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Is it allergies? With it being clear I'm thinking yes.

You could try a nose frieda to clear her before bedtime.

If you are nursing, you could hand express some and shoot a medicine dropped into each nostril before bed. This helps DS sleep better when he is congested.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Egray » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Does she sleep with a pillow? If not try giving her one so she can sleep at an angle. That always helps my two when they are stuffy. Short of that and what you are already doing I'm not sure?!
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby january » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:33 pm

I initially thought it was allergies. She has them fairly bad (she can thank her mother for that :() & she'd been itching her eyes and nose on Saturday & Sunday. So I've been giving her Zyrtec for the past 4 or 5 days now & I'm at the max dosage. And it's not helping at ALL. It has absolutely no effect whatsoever.

Plus, even though her snot is clear, the congested cough isn't typical of her allergies (or mine for that matter). That's why I was leaning towards a cold. But I really don't know. :dunno:

She's not nursing anymore (she self-weaned at 13 months after her first cold :() so I don't have any supply to try that.

I have the humidifier & vaporizer going, gave her saline nose spray & slathered her chest, back & feet in baby vick's. She typically sleeps on a pillow but it's fairly flat so I put a pillow pet underneath it to prop her up more.

She's sleeping right now, but not well. Still VERY stuffy & has an absolutely horrid sounding cough. Of course, she's a wiggle worm so she rolled off her pillows. :roll:

I don't know what a nose frieda is... but I'm going to go google it!
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tiffaney » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:32 am

when it's really bad I give DD a 1/2 tsp of orange triaminic or 1 tsp of benadyrl per her pedi.
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)