Being mean to pets

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Being mean to pets

Postby victoria_1024 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:19 pm

I don't know what happened. My sweet little boy has suddenly decided to torture our cats. He tries to "hug" them, which means tackling them. He pulls their tails. He chases them. I am seriously out of ideas on what to do with this kid right now! We do a lot of showing him how to "pet the kitty nice" and use "gentle pets".

I don't think he was trying to be mean necessarily, he just really loves them and is not showing it right. But now it's gotten to the point where I actually think he's doing it for attention because of how we've been reacting to it, because he will look at us and grin so big with this little devil spark in his eye.

We've been trying time-outs but those are not working, I totally don't think he is getting the concept. He just sits there looking at us, talking to himself, doesn't seem to care at all or connect it to his bad behavior (even though we clearly tell him why he is in time-out).

Any thoughts??? I'm having so much anxiety about this!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:43 pm

I have nothing for you....

Because love in our house = sneak attacking the cat around a corner and barrel rolling them. He has figured out that if you go for the hips, they can't get away.

How else are you supposed to pet them? To be totally honest, I think developmentally they can pet the cats nicely, but with him being two (and I could be way off) it might be difficult impulse wise to contain himself.

How are the cats doing with it? Ours just stay out of his way and keep to higher ground which helps. What about giving the cats plenty of places to escape? We have a series of shelves in our bedroom to give them some peace and quiet. They love them.

Wes has gotten whacked a couple of times, and we have not attempted to stop it. When he was asking for it, he was asking for it. The cats are good though, the less enthusiastic one whacks him, and he is starting to learn - if he is doing something and the cat is giving him signals that she is unhappy he is starting to pick up on them.

like this but higher up:
http://www.thecathouse.info/images/cathouse7.jpg

It doesn't solve the problem, but it gives the cats a safe haven for when they don't want to be bothered.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:45 pm

My son had been terrorizing our tiny little chihuahua lately. I think since they are developmentally so immature it's the only way they know to show affection. But he loves to poke him and chase him and throw things at him Ugg. The dog snaps at him (never really hurts him, he knows better) and my son doesn't care. He usually thinks its funny. :roll:

I don't really have any answers. I've been trying to teach my dog to just go somewhere else (lol) and I'm constantly getting on to my son about it. He gets it, and knows he's not supposed to bug the dog, but still does it. I'm just hoping he will grow out of it soon and reallly understand why he shouldn't WANT to bug or hurt his dog.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)