Iron supplement causing teeth discoloration *update

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Iron supplement causing teeth discoloration *update

Postby Emmo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:42 pm

My son had low iron when he was younger (he looooves milk :?). The doctor told us to give him some iron supplements. As he got older, we stopped. However, recently, they told me his iron was "Borderline, but OK". So, I picked up some flinstones chewables with iron. And I've been giving them to him every once in a while to make sure he gets a little boost of iron now and then.

BUT, today I noticed one of his teeth looks yellowish or greyish. I dunno- dull. Freaked me out. I brush his teeth really good every day. I googled and apparently iron supplements cause this! Ah. I read that scrubbing it with baking soda can make it go away, so I did that tonight but it's still darkish. I really hope I can get it to go away. 8O

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this??
Last edited by Emmo on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lita74 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Could you give him a liquied iron supplement in a syringe? I give my kids Palafer in the syringe. I didn't know that about the teeth tho!!!
Lita74
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Emmo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:39 pm

So, it turns out it wasn't from the supplement. The tooth must've gotten hurt when DS fell down like 3 weeks ago. The dentist said it isn't hurt too bad (no infection or anything) so, it will most likely get lighter or stay the same until he gets his adult tooth :( .
They CAN get darker, though, and/or infected and have to get a crown or pulled. EEk. the dentist said it didn't look like those worst case scenarios will happen, though. Apparently it's a pretty common thing, though. I may invest in some teeth whitener for that one tooth, lol. Who knows if it will work , though, but worth a shot I guess.

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:46 pm

OK, another update if anyone has been reading this, lol.

His dentist said it would take several months to lighten back up (if it did) well, it got darker for a couple of weeks (almost brown) and it's already back to normal. Took a little over a month. I think we were lucky, though b/c I know that's not always the case.

Just an FYI if anyone experiences something like this I guess it's somewhat typical.

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)