NO to milk in the sippy!

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

NO to milk in the sippy!

Postby MotoX Mom » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:51 pm

DD will drink anything out of a sippy or bottle, except MILK...only in the bottle. I keep offering her a sippy (this one..bottle like http://nuby.com/en/nuby/cups-spouts/9911 ) of milk along with her water sippy at breakfast. I have tried every sippy known to man and it does not make a difference.

I know she needs to get off the bottle (3 a day), but I just cant get her to drink this! Does anyone have any advice? I am feeling desperate at the moment, and not sure what the LONGEST timeframe is to get this accomplished. She does love her "baba" and I know it is partially a comfort thing (before nap and bed), but the sippys (above) you can remove the straw and she can suck on it just like a bottle :?

I am at a loss.

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MominMD » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Have you tried just a cup with a straw, or a cup with a lid and a straw? DS loves that. He often prefers his milk in that. We have a plastic cup we got at a restaurant, and we just buy straws and use them. That is often what he drinks milk out of best.
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsjuice » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:48 pm

We are in the same boat as you - DS will only drink his milk from the baba - I hope that someone offers some nuggets of wisdom for us!!
Susan (35) DH (45) DS1 (4) DS2 (2) Image
mrsjuice
Angel
Angel

Postby MotoX Mom » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:49 pm

MominMD wrote:Have you tried just a cup with a straw, or a cup with a lid and a straw? DS loves that. He often prefers his milk in that. We have a plastic cup we got at a restaurant, and we just buy straws and use them. That is often what he drinks milk out of best.

yep, no go :( her are all my "tries" lol + some i have returned because they leak like a sieve!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Stephie702 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:42 pm

Well my daughter didnt like whole milk, in fack i think it was to rich for her stomach, so we use 2%..and since she will drink it. I know thi smight be bad but we used to put a little strawberry or chco syrup to flavor the milk.. but only a little....
~Steph-
DH, DSD 11, DD 22 months
Lilyana Leeann born 8/27/09 via C-Section 8lbs 3oz, 21inches long!
the love of my life <3
Stephie702
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Beegee » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:08 pm

I know this post is months old, but Motoxchic, I'm wondering if you were able to get your DD to drink milk from anything other than the bottle? And if so, how? I'm having the exact same problem now and wondering how to approach it... thought I'd revive this post:)
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NicoleK03 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:33 pm

We had the exact same problem and one day a couple of weeks ago I finally decided enough was enough and I just needed to buckle down and do it. It was so easy!!!!! For nap I just offered it in a sippy and he didn't want it so he went down without milk, not the easiest thing but he went down eventually. same thing at bedtime. The next morning he decided he would drink it from a sippy and has been ever since.

I thought it would be much much harder but it went so smoothly I wish I would have just tried it earlier.
Me:24 DH:25 DS:Born 10/01/09 DS2: Born 5/11/11
Married:06/03/06
Image<br />Image
NicoleK03
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Prinycesa07 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:40 pm

I had the same problem. She would drink anything but milk from a sippy. She would try it and when realizing it was milk would make a disgusted face and throw it on the floor. I was even desperate enough to put a little chocolate or strawberry syrup in it. Nope. I tried about 6 different cups (pretty much the same ones the poster above did).

Anyways, we went off the bottle at about 18 months, shes now almost 22 months and still wont drink milk from her sippy. Instead, i make her daily smoothies so she gets her milk intake that way. I use yogurt, cup of milk, strawberries, pineapples, blueberries, bananas, peaches, raspberries, blackberries, any fruit that i really feel like putting in and a small handful of spinach (since she wont eat veggies either and cant taste them in the smoothie). Although it sucks to have to make the smoothies every single day she loves them and drinks 2-3 cups a day. She asks for "SMOOTIE" as soon as she wakes up. So at least shes drinking her milk, getting veggies and also fruits.
Audrey Renee- 12/09/09
Owen Frederick- 4/8/11
Olivia Mae Noelle 12/25/14

Prinycesa07
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Gosh, I never received updates from this thread!

We finally have some success! I bought a Thermos brand sippy from walmart (Tinkerbell). It took more than 2m, but she will finally drink out of it. She will also drink out of a straw sippy (cross between the last 2 pictured), but usually I keep the Thermos for it. It just took consistently offering it. We would sit down in the living room with her snack and milk sippy. We'd go back and forth and I would make her sip some before getting more snack. The Thermos cup flips up, so it was also fun for her, esp at first, then it wore off, then I guess she just got tired of my persistence, lol.

This is the Thermos http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... revshr_001

Now, trying to stop the bottles.... :cry:

Tried this tonight http://nuk-usa.com/products/c-10$p-70/active-cup-.aspx (never seen another cup that LOOKS so much like a Ba-ba...R even CALLED it a Ba-ba), she drank for about 30 sec and that was it. I got frustrated and gave her the bottle. I hope this does not take months as well. I will try starting with the nap bottle again soon.

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tufjewel » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:40 pm

I have the same problem with my ds. He was off the bottle at 14 months but refused milk in a sippy. He still hates milk and it 2 years 4 months. I have to give him chocolate milk and he sometimes won't even drink that. I have gone to giving him yogurt which has more calcium and vitamin D (if you get the yoplait) than milk. Also he gets a daily vitamin. He is healthy and growing great so I try not to worry. My 3 other children are milkaholics! but not him.
Shaelyn Rose
Born 6/23/2011
7.14 lbs 19 3/4 inches
tufjewel
Angel
Angel

Postby Gabbysmama » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:53 am

Beegee wrote:I know this post is months old, but Motoxchic, I'm wondering if you were able to get your DD to drink milk from anything other than the bottle? And if so, how? I'm having the exact same problem now and wondering how to approach it... thought I'd revive this post:)

My DD#1 was like this - the only milk she got until she was 2 was from her one night time bottle. Once we cut that bottle out, she drank no milk. She ate yogurt, cheese, ice cream -- I figured her calcium intake was fine, so I didn't sweat it. Now, with DD#2, it's the same. I'm done with bottles, so she just doesn't really drink much milk. I'm not worried. :)
***Patti***
Gabrielle Victoria - 4.30.2007
Katherine Elizabeth - 11.17.10
Gabbysmama
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 am

LO never took a bottle, only nursed and took a sippy a bit. He never liked the sippy much either--the water came to slow. We switched to a regular glass with a straw and I just hold it for him for now. He just started drinking a little milk from this.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)