Car seat help?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Car seat help?

Postby mamadru10 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:08 am

I think it's about time to switch from the infant one to one that just stays in the car. I plan to keep him rear faced... what are some good seats? It would be great to find one that reclines and has a cup holder, but all of the ones I have seen have one or the other... any reccomendations or suggestions?TIA
Matthew Glenn 09/02/1999 33w3d
Charles thomas Jr- 6/1/10- born 37w2d!
Alexandria Isabella- 11/21/12 39 weeks
Image


Image

Image
mamadru10
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Wisconsin

Postby KimmyH » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:32 am

How big is your LO (& percentiles), what kind of car do you drive and what is your budget? Some good convertibles to keep your LO comfortably rearfacing until a safe age (at least 2 or 3 years old) to turn forward facing are any of the Britax convertibles, any of the First Years True Fits, any of the Sunshine Kids Radians, Evenflo Triumph 65 or Symphony 65, Graco Myride 65, Safety 1st Complete Air and Cosco Scenra 40. Your answers to the first 3 questions will narrow down the choices, since all of the seats fit certain builds, cars and budgets.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

Image

Image
ImageImage
User avatar
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

Postby bethann » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:07 pm

We have the Graco Myride 65 and love it...It has a cup holder....

I can't believe you are just now switching!!! The twins were grown out of their infant seats by 5 months!!!!
Me: 28, DH: 31
2 furbabies Vegas and Titan
IVF #2 a success! Twins! Born 8-9-10
Surprise BFP the natural way! Baby Ava due in December 2011!
Image
Image
User avatar
bethann
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:00 am

Postby HannahMarch » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:20 pm

We switched right at a year. We have the Graco myride 65. It has the recline for the rear facing position. The cup holder is integrated into the arm rest, so it doesn't stick out at all. DD loves it and at almost 3, she is still rear-facing.
Me 33, DH 31- Married in 2000

Image
Hannah just turned 3!!
Alice Jordan born Oct 28, 2011 !!!!
Image
User avatar
HannahMarch
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Maine

Postby babyhelstrup » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:30 pm

I have the Britax Marathon (199 msrp) 35lbs or 49" and 65lbs or 49" FF. And the Boulvard 70 (319 mrsp) 40lbs RF or 49" and 70lbs FF or 49". They do recline... The CHP actually told me that RF they need to be at a 45 degree angle so we had to recline her. Once FF LO can be more upright.

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats
48 hr Drug free labor!
Breastfeeding mamma!!

[/url]="http://lilypie.com/"><img src="http://lb3m.lilypie.com/YChZm8.png" width="200" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Third Birthday tickers" /></a>[/url]
User avatar
babyhelstrup
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 am
Location: No. California

Postby KimmyH » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 pm

babyhelstrup wrote:I have the Britax Marathon (199 msrp) 35lbs or 49" and 65lbs or 49" FF. And the Boulvard 70 (319 mrsp) 40lbs RF or 49" and 70lbs FF or 49". They do recline... The CHP actually told me that RF they need to be at a 45 degree angle so we had to recline her. Once FF LO can be more upright.

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats


I also have a Boulevard 70, and you can have it more upright than 45 degrees for a baby with good head control. The HP officer gave you misinformation. :roll: The police department here told my MIL that she should FF my 10 MO because she was 20 lbs, or her legs would break in an accident. It says right on the side of the seat that angles from 30-45 degrees are acceptable for RFing. That might help give the passenger in front of the seat a lot more leg room :D There are other brands of convertibles that reqire 45* RFing, but not Britax.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

Image

Image
ImageImage
User avatar
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

Postby babyhelstrup » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 pm

KimmyH wrote:
babyhelstrup wrote: The police department here told my MIL that she should FF my 10 MO because she was 20 lbs, or her legs would break in an accident. It says right on the side of the seat that angles from 30-45 degrees are acceptable for RFing. That might help give the passenger in front of the seat a lot more leg room :D There are other brands of convertibles that reqire 45* RFing, but not Britax.



Wow the PD told you that shocking.. I would rather broken legs then a broken neck and who knows what due to that. I asked the PD what is better and he said that they suggest sitting RF as long as possible bc it is safer but not the law. I think they are trying to change it to 2 years now. IDK.

The PD must have been going w/ the general information. Good to know that she can be a little more upright. thanks
48 hr Drug free labor!
Breastfeeding mamma!!

[/url]="http://lilypie.com/"><img src="http://lb3m.lilypie.com/YChZm8.png" width="200" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Third Birthday tickers" /></a>[/url]
User avatar
babyhelstrup
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 am
Location: No. California

Postby KimmyH » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:15 am

babyhelstrup wrote:
KimmyH wrote:
babyhelstrup wrote: The police department here told my MIL that she should FF my 10 MO because she was 20 lbs, or her legs would break in an accident. It says right on the side of the seat that angles from 30-45 degrees are acceptable for RFing. That might help give the passenger in front of the seat a lot more leg room :D There are other brands of convertibles that reqire 45* RFing, but not Britax.



Wow the PD told you that shocking.. I would rather broken legs then a broken neck and who knows what due to that. I asked the PD what is better and he said that they suggest sitting RF as long as possible bc it is safer but not the law. I think they are trying to change it to 2 years now. IDK.

The PD must have been going w/ the general information. Good to know that she can be a little more upright. thanks


I was seriously p$%&*d! It took so much to convince MIL about ERFing and carseat safety, and the cop telling her that made her confused again and loose faith in what I believed in. :mad:
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

Image

Image
ImageImage
User avatar
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

Postby babyhelstrup » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 am

KimmyH- I would be pissed too. I dont understand why anyone should question a parents choices esp if they believe it is safer. Have you shown her the video on YouTube?
48 hr Drug free labor!
Breastfeeding mamma!!

[/url]="http://lilypie.com/"><img src="http://lb3m.lilypie.com/YChZm8.png" width="200" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Third Birthday tickers" /></a>[/url]
User avatar
babyhelstrup
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 am
Location: No. California

Postby Egray » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:11 pm

We have the Myride 65's too and love them!
User avatar
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:00 am
Location: CT

Re: Car seat help?

Postby serts » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:37 am

mamadru10 wrote:I think it's about time to switch from the infant one to one that just stays in the car. I plan to keep him rear faced... what ar4e some good seats? It would be gr4eat to find one that reclines and has a cup holder, but all of the ones I have seen have one or the other... any reccomendations or suggestions?TIA

I think you can choose Britax Marathon 70
this is the description
* The Britax Marathon 70 convertible car seat is designed for children rear facing from 5 to 40 pounds and forward facing up to 70 pounds
* Safecell technology features safecells designed to compress in a crash, significantly lowering the center of gravity and counteracting the forward rotation of the child seat which normally propels child toward the front seat
* Integrated Steel Bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during a crash
* Side Impact Protection comprised of deep side walls lined with energy-absorbing EPP foam distributes crash forces, shields from vehicle intrusion and contains the head, neck and body
* Quick-adjust harness repositions the harness shoulder height without disassembling the harness straps
User avatar
serts
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:00 am

Postby victoria_1024 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:18 pm

We have a myride 65 for DD. She seems really comfortable in it and she can RF for a long time. The only thing I don't like is that her straps seem to get twisted a lot, but that's a minor issue really.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:00 am

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:41 am

We got a True Fit off Amazon.com and like it very much. It's rather big, but DS is long for his age. It does not have a cup holder, though, but DS liked it a lot better than his infant seat. It seems very soft and comfortable. we got a good price on it and free shipping on Amazon, so that was great! :) We switched at 10 months (our infant seat was on the bigger side than average).
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

Image
Image
Image
BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:00 am


Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)

cron