The best way to handle biting

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

The best way to handle biting

Postby aloeberry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 am

Occasionally when he is overtired or worked up, DS will bite me. He thinks it is a game. He doesn't bite anyone else and he isn't doing it out of frustration or anger. I have been sternly telling him "no biting" and then reminding him that we give kisses. This approach hasn't been working and he usually laughs at me when I tell him "no". I try to remove myself but he is a total monkey and climbs all over me all the time. Today I decided to try to get on his level and pretend cry - I said "no biting, that hurts mama" and I fake cried. He got very upset and cried. Then I comforted him and said in a calm voice "we don't bite, we give kisses" and he gave me kisses. I felt TERRIBLE for making him cry but hope my message got through to him. Any other suggestions? Did I do a bad thing? DH thinks I should firmly grab his hand and say "no" but I don't want to teach him to do that to others....IDK.
DS #1 born 4/4/10
DS #2 born 2/1/12

aloeberry
Addicted
Addicted

Postby stobie1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:27 pm

i work in a daycare and my dd goes there and is 17 months old she learned to bit recently and has only done it a few times what ive been taught and do to my daughter is tell her no biting, biting hurts like u done i dont think you did a bad thing its hard to see your lo cry lol but its not ok for them to bite i also tap my dd's mouth with my finger and tell her no so she knows for sure what im referring too i also do time out and will spank her if she gets to bad at it idk if you spank but she has only done it 3-4 times so far so im trying to nip it in the bud lol i dont want her to bite others at the daycare! but crying shows your upset and hurt also we teach them to tell others at the daycare "I dont like that" then maybe say biting hurts it makes me sad make a sad face or what u feel comfortable doing but getting on their level is a good idea hope i helped!
Me: Stormie 29
Dh: Branden 29
DD: Naomi 5 yrs old
TTC #2 for 8 months before BFP EDD MARCH 9th!

C-section scheduled for March 4th!!

stobie1
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm very firm with biting. It is something I absolutely will not tolerate. If DD bites, I will remove myself from her and walk away if I have to.

DD has only bit me once really hard. Less than a handful of times, she has lightly grazed me but stopped when I gave her a warning.

DD is more of a pincher and I'm more patient with pinching than biting.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:34 pm

My girl went through a phase of this. If she was overtired or excited, she would bite. She also bit DS a few times when she was mad at him. When she bit me, I would say, 'Ouch, that hurts!' (No acting necessary, she bit hard). Then I would firmly tell her no and put her down. If she bit DS, I would tell her no firmly and spend lots of time comforting DS so the focus was off her. DS would also cry because, like I said, she bit hard. So she knew we were all upset about it. Thankfully, it was just a phase, and she doesn't do this anymore. But if she did it now, I would put her in timeout and then get her to apologize and hug whoever she bit.
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Egray » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 am

IGNORE IT. One of my DD's was a big bitter. Especially to her sister.

The couple times she did bite me I didn't even react (and trust me if hurt enough to make me scream) and she looked at me for a reaction, I just kept doing what I was doing and she only tried it once after that.

When she realized I wasn't giving her a reaction she moved onto her sister. Poor sissy. THankfully we go that taken care of but unfortunatly Gillian can't ignore her so it was harder. Lol.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)