Mother in law issues, ugh

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Mother in law issues, ugh

Postby benney » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:43 am

My mother in law drives me nuts. My son is good size baby, he is 15 mos old, approx 28lbs. He eats very good but it drives me nuts when we have him over my mother in laws, she trys to feed him constantly. At home we dont do that, he gets 3 meals a day plus juice/water and two cups of milk a day. the liquid thing drives me the most crazy with my mother in law. He gets a large sippy cup of half water half juice and when he finish's any cup with anything in it he wines for like 5 seconds cause its empty, it does not mean he is still thirsty, but she always wants me to give him more, she will even do it behind my back and I get so angry, I dont want to start an argument but I am about to say something about it. He is very healthy and definately not dehydrated and I'm the mom and I should be able to decide how much liquid he gets, it makes me feel like she thinks I dont know what I'm doing. Any suggestions from anyone. Should I ignore it or say something.
benney
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:28 am

It depends on how often you are over there. MIL feeds DD constantly over her house and doesn't have DD sit at the table if DD even so much as fusses.
That's fine with me b/c she does feed DD healthy foods and it's usually just for an afternoon or once a week while we visit.
I figure she will pay for it when DD gets older and demands to be waited on hand and foot. lol
I kinda roll my eyes but keep it to myself.

You can mention to her to feed him something after his juice and then if he still wants juice then she can give him some more?
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Chrisandkarene » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:57 pm

I could have wrote this post. I would sugges that she give him water instead of juice to prove a point he's not thirsty.. just set the rules but let the in laws spoil him a little you have plenty of battles ahead
Karene(me) 29
Chris (dh) 30
Jewel Nautica (dd)2 June 2009
Tucker Jordan (ds) 6 months Jan 2011
Chrisandkarene
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 am

My own mom does the same type of thing. She sees DD 2-3x a month but is convinced she can read DD's "cues" better than I can. :roll: I have learned to pick my battles with my mother so I just let her do her thing. She knows sugar is my big thing and does not feed DD ANYTHING with unnatural sugar, and juice must be diluted with water 25/75%.

I guess for me it would depend on how often you visit your MIL. If it's several days a week, I would say something... a few days a month, I would ignore it. She doesn't mean to offend you or suggest that you don't know what you're doing, she just think SHE knows best. We're all guilty of that now and then.
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)