Scraming

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Scraming

Postby MominMD » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:39 pm

DS loves to scream for no reason. Nothing we have done has stopped this. We have tried distraction, talking to him about it, time outs, time outs in his bedroom, yelling at him (we are sleep deprived with newborn twins - not always choosing the best option)...................all sorts of things. Nothing stops it. Anyone else have this issue?
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Ignore it. If he is screaming because he wants something, ignore it until he can ask properly.

With newborn twins, he probably wants attention and is frustrated by the change (Not saying you are doing anything wrong...just that he's adjusting too and this might be how he is expressing, kwim?)
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:18 pm

We went through a stage of this. DH and I thought our ears were going to start bleeding because of how pitched DD 2's screams were.

First thing of course is to make sure there is no reason. Does a diaper need to be changed, are they hungry, tired, just need a cuddle, bored, ect. If there really is no reason to the screams below is what we did with her.

We started a couple of things we did was play the whisper game. We would only talk at whisper levels. The whisper game we played all the time not just during an ear splitting round of nonsense screaming. We would also sing "inside voice quite, shh shh". Lastly if it was really bad we would go outside no matter the weather until she stop with the screaming for no reason.After she got done with her screams we went back inside. At first she really like the last option, we would only go a few feet the door though. Then it slowly lost it's appeal along with the screaming.

She still will scream at times, but now there is usually a reason. Sometimes it can seem like there is no reason for this screaming, but after getting her to clam down just a little bit we can find out what the reason is.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby luvin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:40 am

DS did this in a resturaunt the other day when I was having lunch. I honestly think he was attempting to sing like an opera star because there was NO reason for it. I think he wanted everyones attention and he was bored, which was a bad combo. What's bad is I took him in the bathroom and told him he had to quit or we were leaving and he kept doing it, so I'm sure all the other diners thought I was beating him. lol I ended up eating quickly, finding something to distract him, and leaving. Sometimes I don't understand toddlers!
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)