Speech delay?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Speech delay?

Postby JaxJax » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:00 pm

DSD is 20 months and doesnt talk. Makes sounds but not for anything or anyone in particular. Will sometimes repeat noises but when asked directly when shown an object she will turn her head and throw up her arm (attitude signal?) and walk away... We hear her babble all the time randomly but when we try and talk to her she refuses...is she just being stubborn or is there a problem here?
Me- Jackie 25
DH- Michael 26
DSD- London Amaya 1
DS- Devin Ellis 10/6/11 7lbs 15oz
Angel Baby- 7/19/10
BFP 1/25/11 @ 9DPO!!!
It's a BOY!!!!!! EDD 10/6/11
ImageImage
JaxJax
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Egray » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:48 pm

If she is saying no words at all then I would be concerned. I am having my DD evaluated through early intervention birth to threee this month. She is 21 months and only says a handful of words, maybe 10 and they are concerned so saying nothing would worry me. Can you have her evaluated?
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KimmyH » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:10 pm

It sounds like she might be a bit behind, and could benefit from an evaluation. My sister is a Speech and Language Pathologist, and she is ALL about early evaluation and intervention. She says that at some point a simple delay becomes a real disability, but before 2 it is sooo easily addressed almost always. For sure, talk to your pedi and get a referal to see a SLP. Calling early intervention is a good option too, but be aware that you may see a social worker not a SLP.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JaxJax » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:31 pm

She was evaluated @ 18 months by Early Steps and was deemed average. She really doesnt have one single word...but she knows what we are saying. I can say something and she responds correctly such as "lets take a bath" she will go into bathroom. There are several commands she can follow but she does not have a word (even an incorrect one) for anything. I am not her biological mother so I unfortunately cannot set anything up for her medically as she is on medicaid insurance through her mother. Sometimes she might repeat 'da da da da da' or 'ma ma ma ma ma' but thats about it outside of this weird whine/nasally grunt noise she makes. Kind of sounds like 'hnmph' if you could make that out lol. She will repeat this sound INCESSANTLY as her means of talking. It actually has started to drive me crazy bc thats the only sound she will make ALL day lol. I guess we will just wait until 2 bc thats when she can be evaluated by the state again and I heard a lot of kids will just surprise you around that age....
Me- Jackie 25
DH- Michael 26
DSD- London Amaya 1
Angel Baby- 7/19/10
BFP 1/25/11 @ 9DPO!!!
ImageImage
JaxJax
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:57 am

My daughter does the Hnmh whiny noise too when she wants something. She is 20 months old as well. She has a very good vocab though. I would like to say "don't be worried" but I think I would be concernced.
I do think it is good that she is showing comprehension (going to the bathroom when you speak of taking a bath).
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Egray » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:43 pm

In Connecticut you can be re-evaluated after 90 days if you still feel like there is an issue. Are you sure its 6 months where you are?

ETA I am surprised them deemed her average at 18 months with no words. The website for birth to three here says 18-24 months they should be saying 2-3 word sentences.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JaxJax » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 am

This is Louisiana....very low standards for education lol. All we know is what her mother has told us. Unfortunately we can't afford to go outside of her insurance to get a 2nd opinion. I guess I will speak w her mother about pushing for another evaluation soon.
Me- Jackie 25
DH- Michael 26
DSD- London Amaya 1
Angel Baby- 7/19/10
BFP 1/25/11 @ 9DPO!!!
ImageImage
JaxJax
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Nikkijames » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:15 am

Not sure how the whole insurance thing works, but yes that is concerning. I know there is a huge range of "normal" but my 20 month old has over 100 words and even some sentences. What does her pedi say?
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby butterflylr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:34 am

My son around that age was only making a few "sounds" for words for about 6ish words. He was screened through early intervention and they found that he didn't qualify...barely. :roll: I had him evaluated privately and they found he was quite a bit behind. He has been in speech therapy for over a year now and progressed language wise quite a bit. However, he was diagnosed this past July with PDD-NOS (atypical autism). My main point being, if you think something is not right, go with your mama gut! Get her evaluated. The worst they can do is say she is normal. But then again, if you still feel that is not right, get a 2nd opinion.
ME - Lindsay :29: / DH - James :30: / DS - Michael :05/29/08: / Rory :01/16/10: by VBAC!!

Image Image Image
Image http://different-not-less.blogspot.com/
butterflylr
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommyslittlemnster » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:10 pm

DS is almost 3 and has been doing speech therapy almost a year now. He has been diagnosed with Apraxia of Speech. He is a really smart kid, very social, had no symptoms of autism and understood everything we told him. With Apraxia, they comprehend way more than they can vocalize and express. As I was told at our evaluation, it's like when you have a TV and Cable box. The TV works fine and the cable box works fine but the cord connecting the two isn't sending the right signals.
Anyway, I am a strong supporter of early intervention despite everyone saying, he's just a late talker or he'll talk when he's ready. He's still behind all his friends in the talking department but speech has really helped.
Me: Stephanie 27 DS: Stephen Jr. 11/28/2008
Dylan Danger 6/19/2010 Charlotte and Chelsea 5/24/2012
mommyslittlemnster
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)