Toddler behavior help!

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Toddler behavior help!

Postby NicoleK03 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:45 am

Cameron tries to hit, push over, or step on Liam sometimes and I don't know what to do about it. He knows he is not supposed to and that it hurts him/his feelings. I have tried timeout, if I ask him why he did that he runs away like he feels bad for doing it, but he just keeps doing it. Not all of the time mostly I think when he is jealous, but sometimes I think he thinks it is funny. I just don't know what to do about it. I try to follow Michelle Duggars parenting advice because her kids are so well behaved lol. Doesn't seem to work on Cameron though.....
Me:24 DH:25 DS:Born 10/01/09 DS2: Born 5/11/11
Married:06/03/06
Image<br />Image
NicoleK03
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:04 am

This is going to sound like I am comparing a sibling to a cat which is not my intentions BBUUTT...

We have had a really good go with redirecting Wes with "You can't do XYZ but you CAN do ABC". Wes was having a rough time with the cats, and even tried to kick them (good times buddy....good times). We gave him a short and sweet "We do not hurt the cats. OUCH! Gentle/calm hands (what we call the opposite of being aggressive with his hands - he doesn't hit, but he gets wild with them) with cats <insert example> then a redirection of the We can't kick kitties, but we CAN give them kisses <insert cat kiss>

He now tries to chase them down to kiss them :roll: I have no idea what the "right" approach is, but since I get the impression Wes just flat out doesn't know that he is hurting something, or his action will physically harm something, showing him how to interact in a positive way has helped him. I know Wes understands a lot of what we say, but knowing that developmentally he doesn't quite get the whole empathy thing. I will just lead him to positive behaviors and we can work on an in depth "why" when he gets it.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)