19 Month Old Speech

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

19 Month Old Speech

Postby LondonRoseIreland » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:00 am

I have 19 month old twins and a newborn. I've been told by several people that my one daughter is ahead for her age but recently my parents neighbors said my girls are behind because their kid apparently says more words.

My question is, what is the average amount of words that my 19 month old twins should be saying? My younger twin says words perfectly such as "Buttercup" (the dog) or "Tin Man" from the Wizard of Oz along with your basic Mom, Daddy, bottle, food, outside etc. She also says things like "off the blanket" "bad dog" "shoes on" "more cheese" "1,2,3,4,5" "Ireland" (my newborn daughters name) etc. I guess I'm just worried that I should be spending more time teaching them....
LondonRoseIreland
Friend

Postby kc12345 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Sounds normal to me! I just went for my DD's 18 month (she was about 19 months when we went) and they asked if she's saying at least 5-10 words, when I said she was saying some 2 and 3 word "sentences" they said that is advanced for this age... so your girls seem to be doing great! Don't compare to other kids, they all do it at their own pace... and it seems your's have faster pace than most!!! Great job!!
kc12345
Angel
Angel

Postby Egray » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:00 pm

One of my twins at 19 months old was saying probably 60 words. The other 10. Finley wouldn't even attempt to repeat anything I said and Gillian was talking in complete sentences. Now they are turning 2 in a week and Finley has just started repeating everything and talking.

The pedi said Gillian was very advanced for her age and Finley was right on track for hers, I wouldn't worry about what anyone else says. As long as the pedi says its fine I'm sure it is!
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby leahtill » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:34 pm

At 19 months my pedi was pleased that my twins had 5 to 10 words. At 21 months now my DD says three word sentences and repeats every single thing we say. My DS says very few words. He HAS said up to 12 to 17 words or so but only uses a couple on a regular basis. I also cannot get him to repeat anything. Given all of that, the pedi says he's right where he should be.

Your girls sound like they are doing great with their speech to me! Try not to let other people tell you where your kids should be. The bottom line is all children develop at different rates and what is normal for one may not be for another.
Me 30, DH 41
IVF July 2009: Boy Girl Twins 34 weeks 1 day: 2-23-10 Alexis 4 lbs 1 oz, Zachary 4 lbs 3 oz
<br>
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
leahtill
Angel
Angel

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)