How to "fatten up" my little boy?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How to "fatten up" my little boy?

Postby BeccaM » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Isaiah will be 13 mos mid December. He just had his first doc's appointment in a long while. He's new (we just moved) and a holistic doctor, so pretty low key and not pushing weight overly, but he did say that his weight curve has dropped off a bit and we should try to feed him as much as we can. LO is almost 90 % for height and 30% for weight. Long and thin! Most of DH's family is very slender, so it is genetic to some degree.

He's still nursing 3, sometimes 4 times in 24 hours. I try to feed him full fat dairy, but he moves around constantly and is already walking well, almost running. It's hard to get him to sit still or eat a lot at once. Any tips?
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KimmyH » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Try offering calorie dense foods, like avacado, scrambled egg yolks, cheese, etc. A friend of mine had good results with offering whole milk yogurt and fruit smoothies twice a day. Other than that, just go with the flow. My DD also dropped from the 45% to 25% for weight between 12 and 15 months. She got really active and was nursing less. She has gained 8 lbs in the last 6 months and was back up to the 50%. I think some kids just take a little bit for their appetite (especially if they are nursing less/ transitioning to solids as their main nutrition) to catch back up with their calorie expenditure :D
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Egray » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:52 pm

I think its normal for them to stop gaining as much when they become mobile. One of my DD's is barely on the charts for her weight-5% maybe and the doc said not to worry about it. If I were you I would just go with the flow and keep feeding him what your feeding him. There is nothing wrong with being tall and thin!
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:11 am

Thanks, ladies! He didn't seem stressed, but did say he wouldn't want to see his weight fall considerably from where it is now. We'll probably take him in six months to have him weighed, but meantime, I am just gonna keep doing what I'm doing, and just focus on calorie dense foods. He already eats so many of those things, though, it's just hard to come up with other things... I feed him eggs, yogurt (usually full fat), cheeses, toast and cream cheese, you name it! He just never stops moving and burning it off!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LondonRoseIreland » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 am

I hate to say it but I wouldn't listen to that doctor. I have 19 month old twins. London is average across the board in height and weight (right where she should be). Rose is 90% in height and 30% in weight as well. Tall and skinny just like her father and I. And like yours... she won't sit still and is VERY active and never walks...always runs. And she eats like a horse! lol It's all in the genes!
LondonRoseIreland
Friend

Postby Chiteacher » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 pm

I think it is the % you need to be concerned with but if he has fallen off his growth curve. My DS#1 is in the 3% (20 lbs at 18 months) and the dr is not concerned because according to DS's curve he is gaining weight at the same pace.

We give him full fat everything! Greek yogurt is great, full fat stuff is like 23 grams of fat. He doesn't eat meat (his choice!) so he gets lots of cheese and yogurt but if course he prefers fruits and veggies! :)

I worried a lot about his health (and to be honest still do) but if the doc isn't concerned too much try not to be. Just keep givIng him all the good stuff we wish we could eat!
Me (Jane) & DH married 5/29/05 DS 5/6/10 (6lbs 7oz) DS#2 10/7/11 (10lbs 7oz)
Chiteacher
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Chiteacher wrote:I think it is the % you need to be concerned with but if he has fallen off his growth curve. My DS#1 is in the 3% (20 lbs at 18 months) and the dr is not concerned because according to DS's curve he is gaining weight at the same pace.

We give him full fat everything! Greek yogurt is great, full fat stuff is like 23 grams of fat. He doesn't eat meat (his choice!) so he gets lots of cheese and yogurt but if course he prefers fruits and veggies! :)

I worried a lot about his health (and to be honest still do) but if the doc isn't concerned too much try not to be. Just keep givIng him all the good stuff we wish we could eat!

I'm not worried much, but he has fallen off his growth curve a bit. Before he started walking, he was higher and even more before he started crawling. He hasn't been to a doctor in a long time, for one reason or another, so I can't compare to a 9 month appt. But he was in the 60th percentile when he was very small, and about the 40 - 50th for a long time.

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:47 pm

DD dropped in weight as well after she perfected walking, er, running and we've been regularly offering eggs, full fat Greek yogurt, and nursing quite often. She's maintained so far...
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:42 pm

MegsIsMommy wrote:DD dropped in weight as well after she perfected walking, er, running and we've been regularly offering eggs, full fat Greek yogurt, and nursing quite often. She's maintained so far...

Thanks for your input. I am trying to focus on giving high calorie everything, and offering food often! We are not nursing so much as I am very slowly weaning him. He still nurses 3 times in 24 hours, that's it. So I offer goat's milk in a cup in between meals.

He doesn't seem to be losing anymore this last month, so hopefully we're on the right track!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)