No more Naps???

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

No more Naps???

Postby jadie_f » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:09 pm

this is my baby who never slept and dropped to only one nap at 10 months old. She used to nap for two hours, everyday, 12-2ish. maybe 1-3. Now she absolutely will not nap then, but is exhausted by 4 and passes out.
If i let her nap, shes up all night, if i dont, she is a screaming, cranky mess. this is true even if I give her a shortened late nap. I hate for her not to nap, really think she needs it, but I have been trying for over a month to create a nap routine and its totally failed. She only is ready to nap at 4pm. I am really stumped, help! Shes only two!
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kisty214 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:53 pm

I have no advice, mine are 1 and 2 and don't nap and don't go to bed until midnight or 1am lol I uses to have them on a strict schedule but it got thrown off when dh started working nights and I was scared so I let them stay up with me lol
ME-Kisty(27) DH-Brett(32)
DS1: 9/14/09
DS2: 8/12/10
m/c 3/3/08
m/c 5/15/11
DS3: 2/21/12

Kisty214
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby macleesy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:55 pm

My almost 4 year old stopped napping at 2 years. She was exactly as you describe. We started putting her to bed earlier at around 7 pm, and working on making sure she wasn't getting up before 7am. She also had some "quiet time" around 1-2 pm where she would sit in her bed and look at her books for 30 mins to 1 hr. This helped chill her out a bit, and very occasionally if she was really tired she might have a short nap. Then at around 5, when things got dire, I would put her in the bath, and let her play for 30 -45 minutes.

We got through it, so will you! Good luck Mama!
Lisa
Erin Nicole19 Dec 07
Annah Paige 2 Jan 11
Connor John 26 May to 7 Aug 09
My beautiful angel. :angel: So far from my reach, but so close to my heart.

macleesy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:34 am

I have no advice. LO hasn't always done well with naps but he's younger and still takes them. I do know that my Mom, as soon as we weren't taking naps, gave us "quiet time" for like 1/2 hour every day and we had to stay in our rooms. We sometimes fell asleep if we were tired.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:13 pm

as long as its normal. she naps at daycare for an hour twice a week, but not at all when shes home with me. maybe an earlier bed time wwill help
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kc12345 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:01 pm

I have heard this a lot, my friend's kids stop napping at 2 but will at daycare once in awhile. My friends have just given the kids "quiet time" as others have suggested, even if its sitting with a movie... more or less, give yourself a break. I would def put her to bed earlier, even 6:30p if she is acting that tired. Good luck, you'll do great!
kc12345
Angel
Angel

Postby BeccaM » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:08 pm

jadie_f wrote:as long as its normal. she naps at daycare for an hour twice a week, but not at all when shes home with me. maybe an earlier bed time wwill help

She probably tires herself out more at daycare? Could you try having more activities for her or more outdoor play? When my LO is more active, both mentally and physically, he sleeps better.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bethann » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Hugs! I know it is frustrating when they don't do what we expect them to do! Sleep is SO important to the well being and development of toddlers and we all know that a well rested baby is a happier baby. I would suggest the same as some of the previous posters such as quiet time. At age 2 they are really starting to assert their independance and she probably wants to be out there doing what you are doing! I would just try to be very consistent, maybe try to follow the daycares routine on the days you are home since she is napping there. Make naptime the exact time every day and the steps up to naptime the same. Tell her that she looks sleepy and that you need to rest too and put her in her room and shut the door. Maybe with a book and a doll. If she doesnt nap then just let her be for one hour- don't go in there. Eventually she should get the hang of it. An earlier bedtime will also help her sleep during the day- I truly believe that a well rested child does sleep better! Good luck...hth!
Me: 28, DH: 31
2 furbabies Vegas and Titan
IVF #2 a success! Twins! Born 8-9-10
Surprise BFP the natural way! Baby Ava due in December 2011!
bethann
Angel
Angel

Postby Egray » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:49 pm

We have mandatory nap/quiet time here. I don't care if they don't sleep but they need to go in their rooms for at least 1.5 hours. Sometimes it will take one of my DD's an hour to fall asleep but she eventually does, she plays with her blocks and then passes out in the middle of the floor usually.

When you try to put her down in her room does she cry or just refuse to sleep?

If she's not crying I would just leave her there for a couple of hours and let her chill out.

And like Bethann said, put her down at the same time everyday and she'll eventually get it. I think 2 is really early to drop naps all together.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:57 pm

DD just started giving up her naps about 4-6 months ago. She would go for her nap, but would play the whole time, then she'd be a total nightmare (crying, irrational, impossible to get her ready for bed, etc.).

Now that she hasn't been napping regularly for a while, she is used to dealing with being tired and isn't a complete wreck. It just took some time for her to get used to it.

When we do give her a nap, she won't go to sleep til 9:30 or 10, so I have to wake her up after an hour. If she doesn't nap, she goes to bed earlier, like 7:30-8:00 vs. 8:30 w/o a nap.

Just give it some time and she'll stop being a tired wreck of a child. Try to give her a nap a few times a week if she needs it. You can also make her have quiet time. I do that b/c I need a break. She plays or reads quietly in her room.
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)