Encouraging later sleep in the AM?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Encouraging later sleep in the AM?

Postby MegsIsMommy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:52 pm

DD is asleep for the night between 5:30-6pm. She wakes between 5:30-6:30am. She then gets very grumpy and wants to nap around 8am ish and lately that has been it for the day. Crazy!

I've tried pushed her bedtime back but she's still getting up at the same time so we keep the earlier bedtime to ensure enough sleep since she's obviously not getting it during the day. Every once in a while she will sleep to 7-8am and is SOOOO Happy throughout the entire day and the one day is perfectly fine! How do I make THIS the regular wake up time?? Any tips???
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Egray » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:09 pm

How old is she? Until my girls were 14 months they took 2 naps a day. We did the 2-3-4 schedule with them.

First nap 2 hours after they wake, 2nd 3 hours after they wake from their 1st nap and bed time 4 hours after they wake from their 2nd nap.

I found if my girls didn't sleep enough during the day they went to bed too early and got up to early. Once they started taking better naps during the day everything fell into place.

If she's getting up at 5:30 though then I would assume she'd be ready for a nap around 7:30 if she's around a year old. Let her take the nap and then put her down for a second one mid day and push back her bedtime.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Egray wrote:How old is she? Until my girls were 14 months they took 2 naps a day. We did the 2-3-4 schedule with them.

First nap 2 hours after they wake, 2nd 3 hours after they wake from their 1st nap and bed time 4 hours after they wake from their 2nd nap.

I found if my girls didn't sleep enough during the day they went to bed too early and got up to early. Once they started taking better naps during the day everything fell into place.

If she's getting up at 5:30 though then I would assume she'd be ready for a nap around 7:30 if she's around a year old. Let her take the nap and then put her down for a second one mid day and push back her bedtime.

Thanks for commenting! I tried the 2-3-4 timeframe and she wasn't going to bed until like 10pm! LOL Would that be an adjustment time frame? Maybe give it another try?? Heck, I'm willing to give just about anything another try!

She'll be 14 months next week and everything is thrown out the window the last couple of days as she has a tooth coming through that is riiiiight there.

Thanks again!
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm not sure I can help, but my LO is the same age (and has had sleep troubles off and on). He's also very active and busy, like your LO! :) Here's his schedule, maybe it will help.

Wake around 7 - 7:30 am.

Nap around 10:30 - 11 am. If he sleeps 2 hours or more at this nap, he will not get another nap. If he sleeps less than 2 hours, I lay him down around 3:30 - 4 pm for a shorter second nap. I will let him cry if I know he's tired, but if it goes on a loooong time, I will get him up. He typically goes right down now, if he's tired.

Bedtime: 8 - 8:30.

If he wakes anytime before 4 am, Daddy goes in and soothes him to sleep. He typically now sleeps straight through until 6 am or so, when he nurses and goes back to sleep for another 1 or 1 1/2 hours.

I used to just get him up at that time, but I found that if I lay him down again in the darkened room (room darkening shade) and let him fuss for a minute, he would go back to sleep. It's nice to get in a routine!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Liza24 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:24 pm

One tip i think that helps Connor sleep as long as he does ( 8pm-8am) is to keep his room completely dark.

I put thick dark blankets over his windows in the winter, and room darkening blinds in the summer.
Me:37
DH:48
Connor: 6
BFP #2!! 9/24/2015

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Liza24
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:31 pm

I tell her it's dark and to go back to bed. :lol:

I don't care if she doesn't go back to sleep but my butt is staying in the bed til it's light out. :oops:
She's a good kid though. She just hangs out in the bed with me. As a young toddler, I would keep toys near the bed and grab them for her to play with while I was lightly dozing.

We still bedshare though.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kindofagirl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:01 am

When my LO was that age he would wake at 6am for the day, go for a nap from 9-12 then nothing till bedtime at 6pm, it worked for him (and me) xx
kindofagirl
Angel
Angel

Postby kc12345 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Give it time... my DD did the same thing until right around 15-16 months then it started getting later (in the 7's). At 14 months she naturally started transitioning to one nap (most days still cat napped in the morning during my a.m. run) and went to bed around 7-8ish.
kc12345
Angel
Angel

Re: Encouraging later sleep in the AM?

Postby coastieschick » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 am

Have you tried a cat nap? When my son was going from 2-1 naps a day we started laying him down in the afternoon for about 10 mins. He wouldn't sleep but he'd stay in his room with the light off and jibber jabber for a while, just enough for him to rest & calm down a bit...
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)