Time to travel :/

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Time to travel :/

Postby coastieschick » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 pm

When we went home for Christmas DS got so sick of the carseat and being in the car he just screamed and screamed. (and then it took like a month to get him to happily ride in the car again) We're taking a 15hr trip next week. ANY tips on how to keep him happy would be appreciated.

Last time we left in the am, this time we're thinking about trying to drive at night so he's sleeping most of it but we will still have some awake time so???
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jeanie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:00 pm

I have no tips! I would love to hear anyone's advice though, since we will be moving across the country with our toddler soon.
DS-3
DD-1
Angel baby grew wings 6/30/13

Cautiously expecting again, due 5/1/14!
Jeanie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Egray » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Eeek. 15 hours huh. We did 8 hrs with the girls last year and left around their bedtime so they would sleep most of the way.

The way home was a different story and we used our DVD player to keep them entertained. Best 100 ever spent! If you don't have one for your car, I highly suggest you get one.

I also filled a bag with new toys they never saw before to keep them occupied when they got really insane.

Besides that plan a few "trips" along the way to make sure he gets out to stretch and not feel so bored.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Dude, we left for a 7 hour road trip at 3 am so he would sleep for most of it.....

...Guess who wanted to be co-pilot at 3:05am? I don't know if this is a possibility but for our 13 month old an iPod touch was our LIFE SAVER. LIFE -SAVER! Oh glorious iPod apps.

Outside of that though, bringing a lot of toys to cycle through really seemed to do the trick for our kiddo. Favorite books (these books keep him engaged for the longest time. They seem so cheesy, but he, and every baby that comes over LOVES them http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031604 ... 0316044512)
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:09 am

We moved across country when DS was 8 months and he was in a phase from about 3 months until about 11 months that he HATED the car seat. We just took it slow. It was 30 hrs total driving time, but we split it into 5 days and broke it up with lots of stops. I recommend having a bag of special toys and books that he loves, or that are new to him, and special snacks also.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Just wanted to update he was PERFECT during the day. We decided we would leave after his morning nap drive all day, through the night and get there the next morning. Little man apparently takes after his momma though and every time a truck would pass or we would drive by a light it would wake him up and he'd scream. So lesson learned, I guess the Christmas trip was just sensory overload and now we know he doesn't travel well at night.
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Time to travel :/

Postby LaraE » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:13 am

We just returned from a 14+ hr drive from Wisconsin to Nebraska. My DD is 14 months, we gave her some benadryl and left at around her bedtime and she slept for nearly the entire time. When stopped for gas one time in the middle of the night and she woke up then but went right back to sleep. Then we stopped for gas again at around 7am and she was up for the morning. We have DVD players in the backseat so we played her some videos, fed her some snacks and she was mostly ok, only whiney for the last hour or so.

Its really hard to drive overnight but it worked out best for us.
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)