food strike? 20 months old

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

food strike? 20 months old

Postby Jeanie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:12 am

My almost 20 month old little boy is refusing to eat! He's already tiny for his age. All he will eat today is a few bites of applesauce. I even take him to the kitchen and let him pick out food and I make it and then he throws a tantrum and won't eat.

He is getting grouchier the hungrier he gets!

Any advice? He'll eat when he is really starving, right?
DS-3
DD-1
Angel baby grew wings 6/30/13

Cautiously expecting again, due 5/1/14!
Jeanie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sonamalhotra » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:54 am

Hey Jeanie... I understand your problem you are facing.. this is very normal with every baby.. I have 1 year old daughter,karishma.. Generally girls trouble less that boys but in my case she used to trouble me a lot in eating.. She never liked healthy food.. She likes food which has good taste. I was always worried as to what will happen, how will she gain weight.. Once was surfing and found this site called hushbabies.. I bought an instant organic baby food in apple and pear flavor.. Made her eat it once and to be very frank she at one go liked it so much that she wants to eat more and more.. It has no added sugar and salt and is egg free... It has made her healthy.. Now i am tension-free:) Hope this helps you out!!
http://www.hushbabies.com/product/4733/ ... tml#tabs-1
sonamalhotra

Postby MightyMarj » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:37 pm

I find that with toddlers, the more you nag at them to do something, the less likely they are to do it. I woukd just serve what you're going to serve and then don't make a big deal out of whether they eat it or not. On nights when you have dessert, let them know they will get it if they eat mist if their dinner. If they don't eat it, do not give in, not even once. Most children will not starve themselves and go through phases where they are hungrier or not as hungry. However, since your son is small, if you're really worried I would ask his pedi just to make sure there's nothing else going on. I hope this helps!
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jamm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:37 pm

I agree with PP. He will not starve himself. I am sure you have tried everything but just in case, when my DD went through this we always had something out for her. Weather it was cut up banana or graham crackers or anything we thought was healthy for her. She lost her appetite around the same age and lunch would consist of Colby jack or cheddar cheese in small chunks and an eighth of an apple in chunks. We were lucky if she ate that. We did end up mentioning it to the pedi but she said as long as she was healthy and happy not to worry about it. But to ease our own minds we ended up giving her pediasure with breakfast and dinner or whenever she would drink it just to take our minds off of it. She is still a very picky eater and goes through spurts even now when she doesn't eat very well. I am also going to ask if he drinks a lot during the day? Sometimes with too much water, juice or milk they don't feel hungry because the fluid keeps them kind of full.
Me 30 DH 41
DS:12
DD & DS:9
DD: 8
DD & DS: 4
Jamm
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)