Anyone else concerned about e coli, listeria & salmonell

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Anyone else concerned about e coli, listeria & salmonell

Postby Kellmma » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:01 am

Now that DS is 14 months old and off of his baby food I find myself worrying about feeding him raw food. I'd love for him to have fresh fruit smoothies, ect but am concered about listeria and e coli. You have to be so careful with the young children and elderly (kidney failure and death can result) :(

I've been sticking with fruit with think peels and cooked foods. What do you all feed your LOs? Am I just a huge worrywart?
Kellmma
Friend

Postby KimmyH » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 am

It is a rational concern, but try not to get too paranoid about it. Afterall, toddlers put everything in their mouth and even if you eliminated any food borne pathogens, they still pick up plenty of other germs elsewhere. Just remember that low levels of exposure to germs and allergens is what builds and develops LOs immune system. I do my best to maintain a hygienic but not sanitized home, and to accept that LOs are going to get sick and that will help them be healthier later in life.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:55 am

I haven't thought of it. I wash them in veggie/fruit wash and don't think about it again.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:25 pm

I admittedly worry about a lot of things, A LOT, but this is not one of them.

However, my husband's grandmother FREAKS OUT about this, and is very uncomfortable that we are not more cautious : )
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Yes, i do. Also parasites, etc. Its on our food, the dirt its grown in, cant get away from it, however, I try not to freak out about it. One thing I do before I put fresh produce in the fridge is soak everything in Apple Cider Vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide (just a small amt to water), you can look online for the amounts, it takes very little to kill the yuckies.

Make sure even if you peel or cut, you have them washed. I dont do lettuce, onions or herbs until I eat them, they dont last if you do. And if its something I am cooking, I dont always soak them. Also, I make sure to wash DD's hands after handling any pet food. While its cooked, the flavoring added after cooking can be contaminated with salmonella, etc.

Yep, its yucky and most people dont think much of it. You are exposed to salmonella, ecoli, etc more than you realize, but your body handles it. If you have a weakened immune system (ie, my brother has Lyme and I have autoimmune) you can be more susceptible.

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)