Potty training was going so well.....what't gone wrong?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Potty training was going so well.....what't gone wrong?

Postby Bubble1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:49 pm

My ds began potty training at his request in january after being given a new potty at New Year when we visited family, he'd taken a strong dislike to sitting on the potty he had previously chosen himself.

Anyway it all went so well, he loved buying big boy pants, getting stickers etc and was accident free in a couple of days. He has been happy to use toilets and potties, stays dry for naps but not nights yet, tells us to stop on long car journeys.

He has however had a lot of accidents in daycare and this last couple of weeks has had a huge regression. He looks like he needs to pee, jiggling up and down etc but say's that hr doesn't. Two minutes later and he has pews in his pants and is screaming because he doesn't like being wet.

I don't get it, anyone have any ideas or similar experiences. It's almost as if suddenly he's too busy to go.

Help!
ImageImage

Bubble1
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby joyharness » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:51 pm

My dd was that way. Just take him to the potty when you see him acting like he has to go. We gave her one skittle each time she pottied. Worked great!
Me 31, dh 39
DS 5/15/06 (35w6d)
DD 4/3/09 (35w5d)
DD 12/28/11 (37w)

:bfp: 5/5/2011 - 10 dpo
11dpo beta 20
14dpo beta 84

joyharness
Angel
Angel

Postby Egray » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Maybe he is just having too much fun and doesn't want to stop playing to go potty? If I see my DD acting like she has to go while playing with others I tell her, not ask her, that its time to go to the potty. Sometimes she'll say she doesn't have to go but I tell her she has to try before she can go back to playing. And she always goes. I would bring him every hour or so even if he says he doens't have to go.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:50 am

I think it's normal to have a regression or several during potty training. It's not an overnight thing, but a steady development. My DS is 16 months old and potty trained for bowel movements, but pee seems to come and go. There have been days he has stayed almost dry most of the time, and other times it's like we can't get on a good rhythm. I just keep trying to put him on the toilet regularly and make a big deal when he does go in the toilet.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby luvin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:58 am

Ds did that sort of. He got really great at going on the potty, and then out of nowhere, for a week, he had nothing but accidents. Then he went back to peeing like a pro. So I'm gonna say *maybe* a lot of kids do it. Patience and praise when they do a good job will get them back on track!
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bubble1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I have followed your advice and just sat him down when he started bouncing or at least every couple of hours. He would protest and i'd say it doesn't matter if you can't go...then he would go. So I started saying oh look you could do one and heaped the praise on. This week he's been so much better at asking again.
ImageImage

Bubble1
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)