How well did your toddler adjust to a new baby?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How well did your toddler adjust to a new baby?

Postby mamadru10 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:55 am

DS will be 2.5 when the baby gets here, but he has made it clear that right now he isn't happy about a new baby. Hes clingy and when we ask him if were having a baby he says... "yeah... um.... no wike it! Yuck!" anyone else have a tot that seemed to be opposed to the idea of a baby but then changed after the baby was born? I know he don't understand much about it right now, but I'm worried about jealousy issues since that boy is glued to me all day long. How did you handle it?
Matthew Glenn 09/02/1999 33w3d
Charles thomas Jr- 6/1/10- born 37w2d!
Alexandria Isabella- 11/21/12 39 weeks

mamadru10
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kc12345 » Fri May 25, 2012 8:07 pm

My dd was 2 when my ds was born, he's 2 months now, and I will be honest, the first 5 or so weeks were ROUGH. Well, not true. She was very excited about him for the first 4 and then for whateve reason, week 5 was tough. Hitting him, throwing things at him and after kind of watching her behavior, I realized that it was his crying that upset her so much. She didn't understand why, and the sound was annoying to her. But, besides a few 2 year old moments now, she has kind of accepted him into the family and is much more excited about him. Hang in there and just give him time to adjust. Its hard on mom though, I get it.
kc12345
Angel
Angel

Postby photofashionista » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:05 pm

This is an old topic but I'll add my experience in case it helps someone else lurking around.

DD was 20 months when baby #2 was born. She took to him right away! I really expected huge jealousy issues becuase she's a momma's girl and we were never apart. While I was pregnant I did my best to prepare her and help her take care of her baby dolls, etc. I know she didn't really understand but I was hoping it would help some. Although she's been great toward her brother, she did act out alot with tantrums and for a few weeks wasn't really herself. I think the whole adjustment took it's toll on her. She also tries to get away with doing a lot more things she's not supposed to, especially while I'm nursing. It's frustrating but I try to stay consistant with my rules and enforce short time outs if needed. Sometimes that involves chasing after her with a baby attached to my boob. So not glamerous, LoL! She's a smart cookie so I know she's doing it mostly to test me and see if she can get by with it.

I try to incorporate her in a lot of the baby care also like putting on lotion, patting his back, picking out clothes, etc. And when she's doing an activity I make brother "watch" also and sometimes he participates like when I have him "kick" a ball over to her while we're playing. I just really want them to be friends and considerate of one another. She has learned to be very gentle with him.
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: How well did your toddler adjust to a new baby?

Postby LondonRoseIreland » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:20 pm

I had my youngest when my twins were 18 months old. My eldest twin was mean and liked to pinch and poke and was very sneaky about it. We watched her constantly. It got to the point where I trained my 80lb border collie / pitbull mix to alert us when London got near the baby which he did great. She out grew it but now my youngest is 13 months old and fights back...actually she's turning into the bully now! lol

Twins (London Ivy & Rosemarie Esther) born April 14th, 2010
Ireland Lilly born October, 17th, 2011
LondonRoseIreland
Friend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)