Sudden sleep issues HELP!!!

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Sudden sleep issues HELP!!!

Postby coastieschick » Fri May 11, 2012 5:29 pm

DS will be 2 in Sept. and has all the sudden (for the past week now) SCREAMED if we try to lay him down for a nap or bed. The ONLY thing I have found that works is sitting there and holding his hand until he falls asleep and then if the floor makes the tiny-est creek or my jeans rub together he starts screaming and its back to square one.

He has always been a decent sleeper with minimal fussing, if any and has a schedule so I am pulling my hair out. We are moving in 2 weeks so I am sure he is stressing about that but he can't keep going like this for 2+ more weeks I need to figure something out ASAP.

I checked his teeth and the only ones he doesn't have yet are his 2yr molars and they aren't close to the top yet so I don't think its that...
...is it bad when you WISH it was teething!?
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Has he had any nightmares recently? Have you recently taken away his paci? Changed any feeding or drinking habits before bed? Moved him from the crib to toddler bed? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help you figure it out.
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby CamsMommy » Fri May 11, 2012 7:00 pm

Oh no. I know that it isn't a method that a lot of people like but have you tried the whole cry it out and return for comfort at longer intervals? Or how about giving him a stuffed animal or a book?
Those are just ideas. I hope that you figure something out to sooth him to sleep. Hang in there.
Me, 33 Hubby, 34
CamsMommy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby coastieschick » Fri May 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Not really he changed from crib to toddler back in March. We haven't taken away his pacifier yet since we're about to move so we're letting him keep as many comforting things as possible. His daily routine is the same minus nap&bedtime. He had night terrors when he was younger but I'm talking I lay him down in bed, shut the gate, get 1/2 way downstairs and he's screaming so I don't think its bad dreams b/c he doesn't even fall asleep. BUT, its not just a I don't want to go to bed cry I feel like he thinks we're leaving him for some reason!?

I stay home too so I don't know why he would have anxiety over me leaving all the sudden. DH is military but has the same schedule he's had since DS was born. 2days on 2days off and every other weekend.
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:31 am

Have you tried giving him something else at night to soothe him? When we took away DS's pacifier I bought him a Cloud B twilight turtle. He loves it and it lights up his room subtely and helps comfort him. I wonder what is scaring him.

Cayman4

Postby coastieschick » Sat May 12, 2012 8:02 am

He sleeps with a sound machine (lullaby), his pacifier, and a moo cow blankie, he doesn't like light so we have his room blacked out and when I try night lights he tends to wake up all through the night. (I'm the same way has to be dark for me to sleep good). I've thought about trying something like the turtle but IDK.

He's down for a nap now and I laid him in bed, he let out a little yelp got up and went and laid by the baby gate and is going to sleep there. Could it be his bed? He's been sleeping on an air mattress since his actual big boy bed is in NC already. Maybe its just not comfortable anymore???
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:10 am

Did the sleep issues start when you gave him the air mattress? Maybe it's too bouncy for him. Does it make any noise or move when he moved laying on it? What happens if he falls asleep by the gate and you try to move him? Does he wake?

Cayman4

Postby coastieschick » Sat May 12, 2012 8:26 am

He's been on the air mattress for almost a month now w/o issues. Its super quiet & the most comfy one I've ever owned. (its an aero bed)

I don't move him if he falls asleep at nap time I just let him sleep there. Last night he fell asleep at the gate at bedtime so I moved him to bed, and he was ok???
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:40 am

Huh I wonder why all of the sudden he is having issues. Have you tried moving him for his nap after he falls asleep there? Every chance I got I would put him back in bed. Also, we had to put one of those child safety door knob covers on the inside of DS's door because he would come out and lay on the floor. Now he can't leave. We've been having problems getting him to fall asleep since we took the paci away. He sits in there and plays for an hour and won't sleep. Sometimes he cries. But at least I know why he's bahving the way he is. I'm sorry you and he are going through this.

Cayman4

Postby coastieschick » Sat May 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Yeah I guess Im kinda glad its not a phase a lot of yall have gone through, its probably just b/c we're moving and I'm sure he senses the changes and I mean he sees me packing things all day so who knows how his little mind is processing that.

I didn't think about moving him so he gets used to sleeping in bed again & may have to start that. The gate is only about a foot in front of his door since we have stairs just next to it.

only 2 more weeks and he'll have his big boy bed (its shaped like a boat so what kid isn't gonna love that) hopefully he'll sleep better then.
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:55 pm

I hope everything with the move goes smoothly and your DS gets back into good sleeping habits.

Cayman4

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)